Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook -17-by0005ds
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Wifi turns off after a period of inactivity and can not be restarted except by rebooting.  No networks are shown as available. No other device is experiencing this problem on my home network.  Problem also occurs with this laptop at my work location.  Therefore problem is not a network or signal strength problem. 

Problem started after BIOS update to  version F.47.  Reinstalled previous version of BIOS (F,42a?) and problem went away.  How can I block the BIOS update?  

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

I see from the product specs page for your notebook that it comes with a Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11b/g/n/ac (1x1) Wi-Fi® adapter.

That model wifi adapter is plagued with issues like you reported, and Realtek is constantly releasing driver updates to try and correct the problems with their 8822 and 8821 AC wifi adapters.

The only suggestion I can offer, would be to update the wifi driver to the latest version they have released to HP, and restart the PC.

2024.0.10.103/2024.0.4.108      Aug 22, 2019

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp98501-99000/sp98918.exe

If the BIOS update is coming from Microsoft, see if you can use the hide windows update utility to prevent the update from installing again.

See this link for more info... use the utility for the v1607 release.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-rei...

HP Recommended

Wifi drivers are up to date.  It's the firmware update I'm trying to permanently block. After I rolled the firmware update back the problem went away.  I don't see a way to do that in Windows 10. 

HP Recommended

You didn't say where the automatic BIOS update was coming from.

If it is coming from Microsoft via Windows update, running the Hide Windows update utility should prevent it from installing.

If it is coming from the HP support assistant, change the settings to not automatically download and install drivers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.