Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi driver drops

HP envy
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My wifi driver disappears from my HP Envy laptop. The driver is a Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adaptor. Prior to and after upgrading the operating system to Windws 10, the computer would not display the Qualcommm upon startup. Rather, the computer would not detect any wifi capaility and any troubleshooting information provided was to plug in a cable for internet. Searching for the Qualcomm doesn't help. For the last 4 startups the Qualcom has not reappeared. We ethen removed the Windows 10 operating system and reverted back to Windows 8.1, Th e qualcomm and wifi appeared briefly, but the computer froze and now, following 4 start-ups it does not reappear. In rder to post this question, I've had t plug the computer in. Please advise.

7 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
2840 184 354
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi driver drops

Hi there @cfos1, 

The issue you are experiencing with your wireless connection may be a problem other customers are also wondering about; please click the Accept as Solution if you feel this post helps you, or could help others. You can say thanks easily by clicking the Thumbs Up below!

Please try the Troubleshooting Your Wireless Network and Internet Connection tool. This took will walk you step by step through the process. 

I did some research and found a great document for you called Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet. This document will help you troubleshoot the Wi-Fi issue also.  

Have you tried to Restore the BIOS

Are you receiving any error messages?

What does it say in the Device Manager for Network Adapters?

Have you uninstalled the Network Adapter drivers in the Device Manager?

Please try the following: 

• Go to your start screen/menu and type Device Manager.
  • Expand Network adapters.
  • Right click on the wireless adapter and choose Uninstall.
  • Restart your Notebook twice.

If you are receiving any of these errors:

• Internet Explorer cannot display the Web page.
  • Work Offline: No connection to the Internet is currently available.
  • Not connected: You are currently not connected to any networks.

Here is another document called Resolving Broadband Internet connection problems

Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you need it. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system that need updating.

If you require further assistance, I would be happy to help. Please make sure that you have done each step (including the ones in the troubleshooting documents) in order and provide the detailed results of the steps. Could you please provide your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?) as well. 

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I am glad that you joined in!
Have a great day! Smiley Happy

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
cfos1 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi driver drops

These solutions are not helpful. 

When opening the Device manager, the Qualcomm wifi "device" is not present. It is not listed. It is gone.

Clicking on "troubleshoot" only gives me the following solution - please connect via an ethernet cable. 

The video also did not help, most likely because the Qualcomm device/driver, is not "found" by the computer.

Finally, opening the Bios doesn't appear to help, as I said, there is no Qualcomm device/driver to click on and "uninstall".

The only resolution I have is to constantly restart the computer and "hope" that the Qualcomm appears when I use the Device Manager and then click on "networks".

Thank you for trying.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2840 184 354
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi driver drops

Hey, 

Thank you for getting back to me! You had mentioned that the device still has not popped back into your Device Manager. 

Do you have a Network Adapter at all?

If you have tried the actions in the documents provided and cannot establish a connection or the wireless connection continues to perform poorly, your wireless adapter card might need to be reseated or replaced. 

Did you check your Warranty Status using the Check Your Product Warranty site? Are you still covered under Warranty? 

If not, please use the HP Part Surfer site, to see if you can find the part that you need. If you cannot find the part, the best course of action for a resolution may be for you to use the following link to Contact Us

Please, let me know how this goes, I hope it helps! 

Have a fantastic day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
0 Kudos
cfos1 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi driver drops

Yes, I assume hp did not sell an Envy laptopo without a network adaptor. Further, I would have to possess a network adaptor, for it to disappear.

As I said, it comes and goes. I'm not sure why. 

I checked the warranty, and it is conveniently out of warranty.

It is not worth it to me, to pay additional money on a ~ 2 year old laptop. Let's be honest, 2 years is an average length of life of a laptop. Though this one only lasted slightly less than 2 years. I just find it unfortunate. According to the internet, I am not the only one with this problem with HP laptops.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2840 184 354
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi driver drops

Please forgive me. I was not clear. I did not mean the physical Network Adapter, I meant in the Device Manager, is there any type of Network Adapter showing at all?

If you are out of warranty and do not want to replace the network adapter for the Notebook given the age of the Notebook, I can understand that. However, before you give up on the Notebook, I would suggest to try and reseat the Network Adapter. That has worked for others as a solution. Sometimes the connections internally could be the issue. The connectivity can be intermittent because of a loose connection. 

If you need guidance on where the Network Adapter internally is located, I can do my best to find a document for you but I would need your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?) to find the proper documentation if it is available. 

Please let me know! I do not mind helping! :)

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
68 0 26
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi driver drops

Ok , nice answer's but really? does HP have an answer for the issues caused by windows update to 10?

I have a Zbook that worked very well with Win7. At the advice of the help desk and Microsoft I updated the machine to win 10 and from that point the problems started with the display ( an Intel HD 4600 ) and then WIFI started dropping constantly

without any reason ( Intel AC 7260) . We seem to be going around in circles and when users ask direct question we get the same answers which do not work. If HP does not have a solution for the mess Microsoft created with its lack of testing  prior to release then state it.

Yes other devices work on the network when the pc drops

No it's not a loose connection ( really)

Yes all the drivers are up to date ( HP wont allow drivers not modified for the pc)

No the warranty is for 2 more years.

It is very frustrating to constantly have these issues. If you dare, look at the thousands of posts on issues and generally the only solution is to revert back to older window's. The problem with is Microsoft will start dropping support for older OS including win 7 and then we have a PC with zero support.

F1M36UT

Intel Core i7-4810MQ

Intel 4810MQ

How about getting the problem addressed at a level where Microsoft and Intel either fix or pay for hardware fixes.

Ok , i will end here but you get the level of frustration.

Hopefully you will have a suggestion. Please don't hide from responding.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
68 0 26
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi driver drops

so far no response from HP so the solution must be to lost.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation