4 2 0 1
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi drops after loading one page and other problems when Wifi is on

Envy 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a HP Envy 15 with Windows 10. All works well, but not the wifi... It is really terrible. I must admit; the internet here is not very good (Thailand, Vietnam, China and more countries in this region coming), but I cannot load a single page sometimes.

My wife has an other laptop and when she is connected internet is working like it should; websites are loaded and I can place this post on hp.com. As soon as I connect to the network her internet drops like crazy! Like my laptop is sucking up all the internet here. I checked everything and nothing really happens on the HP laptop. When first connected it works for 2 seconds after that it is gone again. Wait like 10 minutes and it is up for 2 seconds again.

A little while ago we were in Sai gon. In the hotel: Terrible internet and it was really hard for me to connect. My wife didn't had problems. Then we went to a cafe. There it worked fine! And I can tell you that there were a lot more people connected to that single network then in the hotel.

We are in Bangkok now. All the problems again, but no cafe around here to flee to. But that is really stupid, because there is internet here and it works "fine" on my wife's laptop.

The things I tried:

• Uninstall the drivers and reinstall
  • Check for leftover VPN stuff and removed it (needed in China)
  • Checked for malware. One found, not really important, removed
  • NVIDIA showed some stream software. Deinstalled it, just to be sure... And still problems
  • Powermanagement changed, so that it wouldn't go to sleep or something
  • flushdns and all that stuff
  • Checked the adapter settings, all good
  • Changed the DNS to Google DNS, no change still problems

Basicly everything I could think of. This is getting really annoying. We cannot pick our hotel based on wifi routers and stuff that only works for my laptop. It should work in this (Bangkok) network aswell.

What can I do? I was also thinking maybe an external wifi adapter through USB might work (don't know if that exists), but why spend money on a 6 month old laptop that has a problem?

I hope someone has an anwser.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3304 3302 178 336
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello@Mutje,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel.

I understand that you need assistance in Wi-Fi issue on your PC. Did I get it, right?

This looks like more of router compatibility. Since you are trying to use a public network and not a secure network, it will be hard to find the reason for not having steady internet connections.

The factors that affect the connect are listed below.

• The number of users on the network.
  • The limitations of the Router/access point
  • The type of connection provided
  • Signal strength of the network

However, I request you to try the guided trouble-shooter for more accurate diagnosis of the issue and possibly fix it as soon as possible.

Use the link below to perform the guided trouble-shooter.

http://hp.care/2dO0fu4

Hope this answers the question. Please let me know more.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Mutje Top Student
Top Student
4 2 0 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello@Resolv_S

My laptop was the first of many devices we carry that I put on the network here. Even then it was terrible in connecting to the network and keep a stable connection.

Second on the network was my wifes laptop: no problems at all. Next were two mobile phones, a tablet and some other equipment. All work like a charm on the internet; stable and quit fast actually.

We have disabled all wifi connection on all the devices except on my laptop. It still doesn't work.

Since we are in a hotel it is safe to say they won't let me check the router, but as you can read above I can tell you there is no limit on the number of connections.

What do you mean with connection type provided?

Signalstrength is very good! Even on my laptop when connected, but no change of getting anywhere on the internet.

The way we have to connect to the internet is through iBSG. Never heard of it and doing a quick google search it is a internet hotspot. When connected you are redirected to a login page where you have to enter a username and password. After that you should have internet... Well, on all devices except mine.

HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12747 12732 826 1421
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Mutje

Thanks for replying! 🙂 First of all, I want to Wish and your Family a Merry Christmas! 🙂

I have gone through your post and understand that other devices work perfectly fine over wifi and only your HP Envy laptop has connectivity issues. I read that once our laptop is connected to the wifi the connection drops and until the time it remains connected, your wife's laptop connection drops. Since your laptop connects fine to a wifi at a cafe, it means that the wifi card should be okay. 

I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a great job. Here is a list of steps that commonly resolve issues with wireless connectivity. As per my understanding, this is purely some settings issue at the wifi in your hotel. However you could try the step sbelow

First, we have a step by step guide to walk you through the troubleshooting process here: Troubleshooting Your Wireless Network and Internet Connection.

A second option, is to try these steps: (Not sure if this step would help because you do no thave access to the router)
Power cycle the network:
1. Shut down your notebook.
2. Unplug the power to your router.
3. Unplug the power to your modem.
4. Wait at least 45 seconds.
5. Plug in the modem, and wait for it to come back online.
6. Plug in the router, and wait for it to come back online.
7. Turn on your notebook, and test your connection.

Disable the Power Off option for the adapter:
1. Open Device Manager. (Win Key+R > type devmgmt.msc > OK)
2. Expand the Network adapters.
3. Right click on the Ethernet/Wireless Adapter and click Properties.
4. Click the Power Management tab.
5. Remove the check mark beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
6. Click OK.
7. Test.

Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:
1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

It may also help to reset the winsock catalogue:
1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

Reinstall the network adapter drivers:
1. Download the drivers from here but do not run them yet.
2. Go to your start screen/menu and type Device Manager.
3. Expand Network adapters.
4. Right click on the wireless adapter and choose Uninstall.
5. Run the downloaded drivers from step 1.
6. Restart your PC and test.

Test an ethernet connection:
Self-explanatory. Test if the issue persists on a wired connection to rule out the wireless adapter hardware so troubleshooting can be directed towards the right areas.

Test another connection:
Many people rule out their home network as an issue if another device is working on the same network. Networking is not that simple. Each device interacts differently with your router or modem and it is impossible to rule out settings in that device until the notebook has been tested on another network.

If those three steps do not resolve the issue, try this document published by Microsoft for networking issues: Wired and wireless network problems. You can change the operating system with the dropdown in the upper-right corner of the document.

Hopefully, this helps! Please feel free to reply for any further help. Cheers! 🙂

0 Kudos
Mutje Top Student
Top Student
4 2 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you @MKazi for replying.

All the idea's are on the internet and I tried them all. Nothing seems to help.

Since this problem got really annoying I connected my phone through USB to the laptop and made a USB hotspot. This workt perfectly. Now I am on a different location/hotel and closer to the router. Now the laptop is on the internet without a mobile phone.

In addition, it seems like the speakers are about to give up too. They make a strange noise when listening to music or watching a movie.

I have also contacted the customer service of HP (chat) and the person on the other end suggested I'd try the Thai HP customer service, because I was on the American HP Support... Has anyone ever seen Thai language or heard it? I can speak 2 words Thai, but cannot read it at all.

As soon as I see a shop with laptops I think I will buy something else then HP (a samsung maybe? My wife has one and has no problems at all). I cannot work like this and customers could walk away.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3304 3302 178 336
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi@Mutje,

Thanks for the response.

I recommend you to reinstall the operating system on the PC as this might be caused due to an incorrectly installed update either from Microsoft or HP.

Use the link below to know more about how to do recovery.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04758961

Hope the information shared will help you. Please share for more.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation