Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Laptop 14-fq0022od

The wifi won't connect, but the wifi works for everything else in the household. How to fix pls

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Gigi1275

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?
  • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps?
  • Are you able to discover your home network via your computer?

Most notebook computers have a button or keyboard key to turn the wireless signal on and off. Check the button or key status to confirm if the wireless signal is on.

1. Locate the wireless key or button. This could be an image of an airplane or a wireless signal.

Button or key

Description

A keyboard button with an icon of an airplane on it.

A standalone button with an airplane. This enables or disables “airplane mode” and turns off wireless and Bluetooth on the device.

The f12 button with an icon of an airplane on it.

F12 key with an airplane. This enables or disables “airplane mode” and turns off wireless and Bluetooth on the device.

The f12 key with a wireless icon and a LED light on it.

F12 key with wireless icon and LED. This enables or disables "wireless mode." The LED illuminates in white or blue if active, and amber if wireless is turned off.

A keyboard button with the wireless icon on it.

A standalone wireless button. This is typically located above or near the keyboard.

2. Press the button once, wait 10 seconds, and then observe any changes to the wireless connection icon in the notification area and to the LED light on the wireless button or key.

• If the button or key does not have a light, hover your mouse over the wireless connection icon in the notification area of the taskbar to see the current connection status.

• If the wireless signal is turned on, try connecting to the Internet again.

• If the wireless signal is turned off, press the button or key again to turn it back on, and then try connecting to the Internet again.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My WiFi can connect to the home network, but drops and reconnects every few seconds.  Sometimes resetting the network adapter fixes the issue (takes multiple attempts).  Once it sticks it seems to be OK. If I connect to my guest network it seems to stick.  My router permits a single home network SSID for both 2.4Ghz and 5GHz and I am wondering if that might be throwing off the adapter.  The guest network is fixed 2.4GHz. I do not have a WiFi enable/disable button on my machine (HP Laptop 14-dq1043cl; P/N 1V782UA).

HP Recommended

@sheiksan

Thank you for posting back. 

If other devices can connect to your wireless network, but your computer cannot connect, a BIOS setting might be the cause of the problem. 

To restore BIOS settings for HP notebook computers, use the following steps.

1. Restart your notebook.

2. During startup, press F10 repeatedly until the BIOS menu is displayed.

3. Once the BIOS menu displays, press F9 to restore factory defaults.

4. Select Yes to confirm.

5. Press F10 to save changes and exit.

6. Select Yes to confirm.

The computer restarts using the default settings.

If the issue persists, follow the next steps. HP Support Assistant is a software support diagnosis and troubleshooting tool from HP that can resolve many types of network and Internet connection issues.

NOTE: If your computer cannot connect to the Internet, see the next section to use Windows Network and Internet Troubleshooter.
  1. Go to HP Support Assistant to download and install the HP Support Assistant software, if it is not already installed on your computer.

2. In Windows, search for and open HP Support Assistant.

Selecting your computer on the HP Support Assistant screen

3. On the My Devices tab, select the device you are using, and then click Troubleshooting and fixes. On Troubleshooting and Fixes, click HP Network Check.

If a User Account Control message displays, click Yes.

HP Network Check

4. On the HP Network Check Welcome screen, click Next to run the network diagnostic.

• If the diagnostic test finds no issues, close the window, and skip to the next section for Using Windows Network and Internet Troubleshooter.

• If the diagnostic test finds one or more issues, continue using these steps.

5. Expand Possible Root Causes, if necessary.

Possible Root Causes highlighted

6. Click one of the listed possible causes, click one of the tool icons for the steps to resolve the issue, and then follow the on-screen instructions.

HP Network Check tool icon highlighted

7. After completing the instructions, click Re-check.

HP Support Assistant checks the network connectivity.

The Re-check button highlighted

8. If necessary, repeat these steps until the network connectivity issue is resolved or all possible root causes and repairs have completed.

9. Try to connect to the Internet.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.