Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi all,

Another Wifi issue and before you call me a noob, please! allow me to address few things.

This question has been asked and asked by many HP users but still there aren't any threads with a solved mark on, so here I am again. My pc doesn't connect to Wireless network and function key(f12) does not work.

This pc was originally Windows 7 but has been updated to Windows 8 pro.

Specification

OS

Windows 8 pro 64bit

Model 

HP Pavilion dv7-7030us Notebook PC

Bios Version: F.24.

Here are things I have tried and ALL did not work.

1. Updated all softwares from HP Pavilion dv7-7030us Entertainment Notebook PC Drivers & Downloads
  2. Updated the software and driver for Intel(r) Centrino Wireless-N 2230 from their website. 
  3. Sleep mode-> and press f12
  4. Delete all network drivers and restart
  5. reinstalled wifi button driver
  6. Reinstalled HP power management software
  7. Network diagnostic
  8. Stopped and Started WLAN service then restarted
  9. Have tried several different Bios
  10. etc etc all possible solutions provided on the boards

After all this, my wifi says OFF and still greyed out, and can't manage it to turn it on.

Right now, if I press f12, it only turns Airplane mode on and off and it's still organge, I want it white.

Please please help, I need to go on my business in a few days, and would like to solve this ASAP!

Thank you!

Gee Daigo Kawai

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

well, weird.

After the recent windows update, the issue has been fixed. Not sure why, but I have no more issues regarding Wifi. Interesting.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hey geedaigo, 

I'm sorry you're running into this issue with the WiFi light. Thanks for providing all of those details on the steps you've tried!

I went to the link for the wifi button drive you listed on 5. I saw that it is version 1.0.5.1  (11 Sep 2012). There is a later version 1.0.6.1 (14 Nov 2012)

Before you install that one though, I would recommend uninstalling the wireless driver you got from Intel's website. It doesn't look like this product has an Intel wireless card (even though it may have an Intel processor) The possible wireless card manufacturers for this product are Ralink, Qualcomm Atheros, or Broadcom.

To find out which manufacturer made your wireless card, usually you can look in Device Manager but the Intel driver you got may give you inaccurate information. It might be quicker to just open up the service door on the bottom and read the label on the wireless card. It is right next to the RAM. Once you know what manufacturer made your wireless card you can choose from the different wireless drivers available on the HP driver page.

Expand Driver - Network(7) and look for the items listed that have the word 'wireless' in the title. Choose the one with the same manufacturer name as the label on your wireless card. Once you have the right wireless driver installed, you can update to the latest wireless button driver listed above.

I hope this information helps. Let me know the results, if you get a chance 🙂

HP Recommended
Hey thanks, will try that in the office tomorrow.

Regarding the wireless card, it is intel I believe.
Intel centrino n 2230 - was what I had from the beginning.

But will open up the cover to make sure.

HP Recommended

Did you ever have any luck with this issue?

HP Recommended

No. Unfortunately I followed everything listed in the forum, but nothing helped.

HP Recommended

Have you tried resetting the TCP/IP stack? This will usually correct limited wireless issues. 

• Press Windows +X.
  • Click Command prompt (Admin mode)
  • Type ‘netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt’
  • Press Enter.
  • Reboot the computer.

HP Recommended
Yep. I've tried everything. The device is still greed out and disabled.
HP Recommended

Also, I saw on another thread that updating to the latest F.26 BIOS corrects the issue. It just came out very recently. 

Pavilion dv7-7030US BIOS version F.26

HP Recommended
Will do, thanks!! but from what i saw the thread, most forum users that updated to f.26 are still experiencing the wifi issue, less report about fixing it seems? I am not sure if this problem is actually related to bio. Could be a factory issue by default it feels like...I've spent too much time trying to attack the problem so I am a bit pessimistic. Thanks!
HP Recommended

No worries! I definitely understand the frustration. It's almost equally as frustrating wanting so badly to fix these persistent issues like this one, but not being able to actually "lay hands" on the computer. I appreciate your responsiveness and willingness to troubleshoot very much though. 

The users who mentioned that it did resolve the issue were also dv7-7000 series machines. The users that reported it not working, either didn't list their models or were a different series altogether. So I am hopeful for your situation being that you have a dv7-7000 series.

I am collecting all of this data to see if there is a trend somewhere that could be used to provide a helpful solution for everyone (in case there are others out there following this thread).

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.