2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi problems; works only for 1.5 hrs with troubleshooting

Envy dv4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

My wifi stopped working about a month ago. The wifi says "cannot find networks" while there are available networks. Tried system restore, wifi was active for 1.5 hrs, then stopped working (wifi icon went from "connected" to "connected with caution" to "unconnected but available networks" to "no networks available." The icon never got to "no network CARD found."). Tried command prompt troubleshooting, similar outcome; working wifi for 1.5-2 hrs, then stopped in the same fashion. Tried BIOS restart, no effect.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,795 12,339 1,165 2,371
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @IM_young_223,

Good day .and thank you for choosing the HP community. ! 🙂 It is a great location to find resolutions.

I reviewed the post about wifi issues on the computer.I’ll be more than happy to assist you here. 🙂

At the outset, you’ve diagnosed the issue perfectly and performed great analysis of the situation before posting the query on HP forums.

Excellent job on that score. Kudos to you. It is always a privilege to work with technically savvy customers.

I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. We value your relationship with HP and wish to serve you better. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better, I would require more information regarding this.

• Once you do a system restore does you computer perform a windows update or a software app update after which you lose wireless connectivity? Do you remember?
  • Please give me the complete model# of the unit?
  • Do other devices stay connected on the same network?

For now please try the steps mentioned in this links: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-15-Notebook-PC-series/8499326/model/8942890/document/c0464917...

If not please try the steps from this link one at a time.

Link 2: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Common-fixes-for-wireless-connectivity...

Please try these steps also:

) Start Menu > Control Panel > Administrative Tools for the Classic View (long list of items) or Start Menu > Control Panel > > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative Tools for Category View (colorful, big icons).

2) Double-click Services.

3) In this window, click the Name column header (where is says “Name”) to sort by the service name.

4) Scroll down to find WLAN AutoConfig service. Stop the service first. Then restart it and make sure that it runs automatically.

5) Make sure that dependency services are also stopped and restarted.

Control Panel > icon view > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings >

Right-Click on your Wireless "Wi-Fi" > Properties >

In "This connection uses the following items", Scroll down to

Click on  Internet Protocol Internet Version 4 (TCP/IP/IPv4)

Properties > CHECK "Obtain an IP address automatically" > OK

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
tim_young_223 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello David,

Apologies for the delay, thank you for your help!

For your questions:

1) I didn't remember if after a system restore if there was an update, but I know that since the time it's been working poorly I have received a Windows Update. The wi-fi is still unavailable.

2) By complete model unit, I believe I have a HP ENVY dv4-5213cl Notebook PC, Model #: B5W50UA.

3) Yes, other devices work well with the local wi-fi.

I tried the various methods listed, it doesn't seem like any are working.

Let me know how else I can troubleshoot. Thank you very much!

Tim Young

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,795 12,339 1,165 2,371
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @tim_young_223,

I went through this response. Great deductions and analysis of the situation. Kudos to you for that. 🙂  You've been simply superb to work with, considering your profound technical skills and expertise. 🙂

However, If the unit has compatible slots that can slip in a wifi  WLAN card then this could do the trick for you. Please consult a Local best Buy or Staples technician, before venturing into it.

The other workaround would be is to get a USB wifi dongle and plug it to one of the USB ports of the computer and then connect to the WiFi router. You should be able to order one for a song. It is cost effective as well.

If the unit is under warranty, then you could contact hp phone support to get the unit serviced by following these steps:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If not contact a local technician for the USB wifi dongle which is very cost effective. 

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

Trust me I've done all I can to help, by keeping your best interest in mind. 

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation