Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Zbook 15 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My wifi has been dropping for months. Did not seem to coincide with any changes or updates. Bios is latest & drivers all updated still not worked. System became unstable due to driver updates so rolled back. That did not help so refreshed win 10. That did not solve the wifi dropping. Seems driver related as driver stops the wifi. I rseated the wifi card as  #2 annentae fell off while I was checking so maybe the antennae was loose. Now its been ok for 3 1/2 hours!!! 

Still 7260 is discontinued for support & driver problems will likely get worse.

Can I install another intel wifi card.? Look toward AC 8260 or AC 8265.

Read all 9000 series are out as config is different...

Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It doesn't ask when you run the media creation tool.

It only asks when you go to install it after you make the installation media.

View solution in original post

189 REPLIES 189
HP Recommended

Well it just dropped after resetting 11 X///Drivers asked for it...Good thing is it recovered itself without running network troubleshooter which I have constantly had to run last 2 weeks...

Wifi has been reset & uninstalled etc all the known troubleshoots.

I think its a communication stop..maybe defense o but I refreshed windows 10 & got rid of avast so its just win defender now...

Errors

Well only one interruption in 3 1/2 hrs is still stellar!

Getting  erros & info:

NDIS 10400
NETwNb64  700l , 8000. 5005, 5035, 5032, 5010, 5007 
Wlan 4003
DNS client 1014

HP Recommended

Hi:

According to the wifi part number for your notebook the 7260, it has is of the M.2 format, so you should be able to install a newer M.2 card.

New HP 710663-001 Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 7260NGW Bluetooth PCIe NGFF

Why would the 9560 be out?  It looks the same as the one you have now.

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 9560 802.11ac 2 × 2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 5.0 Combo Adaptor (non-vPro)
HP Part # L22634-001

HP Recommended

Dropped again...guess 3 X in 4 1/2 hrs still not as bad as it was...

Intel says that they changed the 9000 wifi card & it does not have something that now is in the processor...

Not sure if I posted this but got this info:

ntel doesn't support the 9260 as an upgrade path - there's an ongoing coversation there about how intel only specifies the 9260 as original equipment. I read on the intel page that the 9260 series moved the wireless intelligence half of the wifi circuit **inside** the 8th generation processor, leaving only the RF parts on the M.2 module, which is no longer backwards compatible with prior (7th gen and back) systems. This explains why intel doesn't support it as a user upgrade option.

I's running i7 4710MQ which I guess it 4th gen..

Looks like 8260 might be compatible though,,,

My understanding is the 8xxx series was the last stand-alone complete card, meaning it had both the channel access logic as well as the RF components inside the m.2 part. It was in the 8th generation that intel split the logic part into the system, leaving just the RF in the 9260, which is useless without the matching components from Intel.

This is so complicated...

HP Recommended

Maybe they fixed the 9560? Have to check it out...was thinking all 9000 wifi cards have new config.

HP Recommended

Yes, I read some of that too but I thought it only pertained to the Intel® Wireless-AC 9461.

Here is a discussion where someone installed the 9260 in an older than 8th gen notebook and it worked just fine...This specific model has an Intel Skylake processor and chipset (2 generations newer than yours).

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Upgrading-Wi-Fi-Card-to-Intel-AC-9260...

HP Recommended

Well that's optimistic. I wonder why intel is saying that the 9000 wi fi cards are drastically different & missing a component . I'm not doing the upgrade for speed as I have a N ATT router service so its crappy anyway but I would like more stability as driver support is over & not sure whats up but I have been dropping resetting sometimes 20 times an hour I loose wifi. At first months ago thought it was ATT but the problem is only on my Z 15G2. Then my 15 G began dropping wifi N6235 so was trying to update that one. In short I have 4 HP workstations. The elitebooks connect fine & don;t drop. I don;t even need the AC at this point just want to stop the constant dropping which is a big pain when uploading drivers & updates. 

I could just get an another 7260AC or even 7260AN just to see if it helps  but I thought if a newer one would work then I'd be better off in the future when win 10 etc gets updated.

I have been research constantly & spent about 100 hrs on this mess.. Even saw someone fixed it by running the antenane wire perpendic to the card edge. Guess I could spend $10 on a used card & if its the same then its the driver issue but I installed current drivers. I rolled back to 12/18 drivers as thought they would be more stable...nothing is really working but think its less since I reseated the card & reattached the 2 antennae...Still dropping though but not resetting 100 times in an hour,,,I have to digest all this as I think I'm on overload...Thanks...will researc that 9560 or 9260 some more...Even the 8260???

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I have the 7260 HMC form factor in my HP 350 G1 and it works just fine (knock on wood).

Please post back, and let us know what you ended up with.

HP Recommended

The 9560 only has one cut out on the bottom  not 2!!! That might be the lost contact... Seems the 9560 is out but 9260 has worked in less than 8th generation so will persue my search....

Thanks!!!

9260 v pro s-l1600.jpg9560 s-l1600.jpg

9560...no brainer as if you looks at the card you will see it will never fit as its missing a cutout bottom right...

HP Recommended

Now that wifi card could be a contender for my Z 15 G as it has a half card...funny had it fail a few times too...I know/hope its not my network as when the Z15G2 fails the others can connect...Funny the Zbooks now are the unstable wifis...

The 15G is just the standard N 6235 (I think) Its a half card H...so maybe the half 7260 could be n option for it in the future after I get the Z15G2 wifi stable!!! LOL

I think this is maddening after spending more than a week on it but also very enlightening

!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.