11-11-2016 06:22 AM
All other devices will connect fine and there are no issues with the wifi.
When I try to connect it asks for the security key. Once I have entered it or connected using the wps button it asks if I want it to connect to other devices.
It then says 'can't connect to this network'.
I have been through the troubleshooting guide and also done the recovery and 'refreshed' without removing files as per the steps in the response to a previous question like mine below:
"Welcome to the HP Forums!
I understand that your device will disconnect from the network sometimes, since updating to 8.1. I apologize for the inconvenience, but I will do my best to assist you!
There could be a number of causes for this issue. I'm going to address all of them with these few troubleshooting procedures. To begin troubleshooting the issue, please try the steps in this HP document: Troubleshooting Your Wireless Network and Internet Connection (Windows 8)
These steps should be enough to resolve the issue. It covers all of the basics, which are capable of resolving the issue if the cause is something simple.
If that doesn't help, you can try a manual reinstall of the wireless adapter driver. Since the adapter is having an issue, this will determine whether or not it is a driver conflict, or something else:
1. Go into Device Manager, then Network adapters.
2. Right-click on the wireless driver, and select "Uninstall".
3. Restart the computer. This will force the driver to reinstall itself.
If it still doesn't help, it is either a hardware or software-related issue. To determine this, I would like you to reinstall the operating system. It will clear up any software conflicts and allow you to start fresh.
First, please ensure you backup your files. Here is information on how to do this: Backing Up Your Files (Windows 8)
Once this is done, it is safe to reinstall the operating system. Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 8)
If the same situation occurs, the computer likely has faulty hardware. At that point, please contact HP phone support. You can utilize this website to learn how to contact HP appropriately, based on your region: Contact HP Worldwide
Please let me know what happens. Thanks!
My laptop will still not connect to the wifi and it is very frustrating and upsetting.
I tried to call but could not find a number as my product is no longer under warranty.
11-11-2016 03:05 PM
Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! :)This is a great location to get resolutions and interact with experts from the community. I understand that you have Wi-Fi issues and require assistance with it. It will be a delight to assist you. ;)
You’ve done an excellent job on troubleshooting the issue from your end. Kudos to you on that score. It is always a privilege to work with technical specialists like you. I see that you’ve tried other computers on the same network and also checked power saving modes. I am simply amazed at your technical skills and levels of technical expertise. Brilliant stuff.
We greatly value your relationship with HP. You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. :)
First off, we need to figure out if the issue is software or hardware related.
To isolate the issue clearly, I request you to try connecting to the internet in safe mode with networking on windows 10. Check this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode
If it works at correct speeds in Safe mode with networking, then the issue is software related and a firewall, antivirus software, other security software or some other application could be the culprit. If it does not work correctly in Safe mode with networking, then
please proceed to the next step from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-15-Notebook-PC-series/3995936/model/4041401/document/c04...
Please proceed with these steps:
- Disable Bluetooth module and check during browsing.
- Try a different browser like Chrome or Firefox.
- Open windows Control Panel, open Power Options and next to your currently selected power plan, click Change plan setting. In the following window, click Change advanced power settings. In the next window, open up 'Wireless Adapter Settings' and then open up 'Power Saving Mode'. Next to On battery: click the current setting and a drop-down box will appear - select 'Maximum Performance'. Do the same for Plugged in. Then click Apply and Ok to save these settings.
- Restart the notebook and see if this has helped the issue.
- Also open device manager. Go to Network adapters and expand it. Select the wireless network adapter for your device by right-clicking on it and clicking on properties. Then go to power management option and uncheck the box that says” Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Also, check the box that says “Allow this device to wake the computer”
- Please check with a hard wired Ethernet cable to isolate the issue only. You could later remove the cable.
- Change the router channel to 11Ghz
- Please disable all firewalls security software and antivirus programs only to check. You could re-enable them once we know that they are not causing any conflicts.
- Please uninstall the existing wifi drivers and update the bios, chipset drivers and wifi drivers from http://hp.com/drivers
- Open device manager>network and adapters>expand it>right-click on it>select properties>Advanced>there is a list of options that show up.
- Here change the value on the right for roaming aggressiveness to Highest.
- Transmit power to Highest.
- From the drop down change 801.11n channel width for 2.4 GHz to “auto” Please ignore if it is already changed to Auto mode
- Change 801.11n channel width for 5.2 GHz to “auto” Please ignore if it is already changed to Auto mode
- Wireless mode should be selected to 801.11 to highest b/g/n
- Throughput booster value – Enabled (you could later disable it. this only for testing. if it works and resolves the issue leave it enabled)
- Wake on Magic Packet value – Enabled
- Wake on Pattern Match – Enabled
Please check these links out as well:
Please perform all the required steps as I know that you are technically very competent. :)
If it still does not work please contact HP phone support by visiting this link: http://hp.com/contacthp You will need to select the country and nter the product# of the unit. Then please follow the on-screen instructions.
Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.
To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. :)
Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. :)
I am an HP Employee