Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab267nr (Touch) (ENERGY STAR)

I purchased a HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab267nr (Touch) (ENERGY STAR) about 5-7 years ago (cannot remember if it was 2015 I bought it or 2018. I currently have ATT internet that allows 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz. My notebook's network picks up on the 2.4 GHz, but not the 5 GHz meaning my ATT network simply does not appear on networks available to connect to. I checked if this is possible using the RUN command and radio types supported are: 802.n    802.11g   802.11b    802.11ac   802.11n   802.11a.  I read that  802.11ac uses the 5GHz band while 802.11n uses 5GHz and 2.4GHz.  I also saw that driver says: Realtek RTL8723BE  802.11 bgn  Wi-Fi Adapter   I also purchased on Amazon a tp-link AC600 High Gain Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter that should let me access both 2.4 GhZ  and  5 Ghz but as I mentioned, this HP notebook is not showing the 5 GHz network, just the 2.4 GhZ to connect to, so it definitely is an issue with this specific notebook

My question then is why am I not able to see the ATT 5 GHz network in my available networks to connect to on this HP Pavilion Notebook, only the ATT 2.4 GHz?      

Can someone please offer solution to this of what I can do to be able to connect to the 5GHz network on this HP Pavilion Notebook? Or if I need to download any specific drivers (I ran an HP driver check and it said I was up to date), or if I can buy any device that can help be me connect/use the  5GHz on this HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab267nr (Touch) (ENERGY STAR)?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook's existing Realtek Wi-Fi adapter can only work on the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi band.

It sounds to me that you have not disconnected from the Realtek Wi-Fi connection, and it is set to automatically connect.

What you need to do is to disconnect from the existing wireless connection and connect using the TP Link USB adapter to your router's 5.0 GHz Wi-Fi band.

Here are general instructions for how to disconnect from a wireless network:

Windows 10 - Disconnect from a Wi-Fi Network | Verizon

HP Recommended

Hi,

May I add one thing. I actually have a machine which has 2 wifi adapters one internal which supports 2.4GHz only and one external 5GHz which is

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/38234/asus-usb-ac53-dual-band-ac1200-nano-usb-wi-fi-adapter

My machine connects to BOTH networks and it always uses faster connection for download files:

2netsx.png

May be they are on the same router.     

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for your response. You were correct, I am not too tech saavy and it appears I was still connected to the Realtec wifi connection that said WIFI 1 on my network connections which I went ahead and disconnected. I then was able to find I have a WIFI 2 connection that goes with the new antenna I bought and connecting to that the 5GHz connection to ATT appeared. The 5GHz connection is surprisingly quite slow though, not getting more than 5-7 Mbps but I assume that is an issue with the ATT network or my location. Either way, I'm happy to have found my 5Ghz connection on this HP notebook thanks to your help. Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. It appears on my HP notebook I have a WIFI 1 and WIFI 2 and the 5Ghz connection was on the WIFI 2. I did not realize I had these two connection, so therefore disconnected off of WIFI 1 and connected to WIFI 2 which the ATT 5GHz network. Glad to have found it, and thank you for the helpful info.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.