Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Sleekbook 15 (C6U09EA#ABE)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. I need to use my gigabit fiber on my Sleekbook 15, but I'm limited to 100mbps thru the RJ45 by the laptop's NIC.

I can't upgrade my 2.4GHz RT3290 (~50mbps) wifi card with a better one because, according to HP's official repair guide, there are just 5 WIFI cards whitelisted by HP, but NONE of this are above bgn standards... (http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03597013.pdf)

If my laptop's NIC's limit is 100mbps using the RJ45, will a USB Ethernet Gigabit Adapter (TP-Link UE300) work at "Gigabit" speed, connected thru the USB 3.0 (at least 3-400mbps)?

I'm asking this because I found just confusing threads on forums, saying that HP motherboards will STILL LIMIT the ethernet speed to the NIC's default (100mbps in my case), even if it's connected thru the USB3.0.

Is this true?

The adapter I want to buy is the TP-Link UE300. Will a Cat6 work at "acceptable" speed on my laptop?

Also, it's somehow possible to "override" the HP's WIFI cards whitelist, to upgrade to an AC one?

Thank you very much in advance!!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

What model Intel processor does your notebook have?

If it has an Intel core processor, I think you can upgrade to this model AC card even though it is not on the list of supported wifi cards.

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

See this discussion...I had recommended the Broadcom card, but the forum member bought the above Intel card instead, and as you can see, he indicated 'it works like a charm.'

Solved: Upgrade wifi card - HP Support Community - 7958442

The above card has a maximum throughput of 867 MBPS when there is an excellent wifi signal.

As far as the USB to RJ-45 gigabit ethernet adapter, I have never seen any reports that the onboard ethernet limits the speed of an external adapter when it is connected via the USB 3 port.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.