Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15 TS Notebook (Intel based) - HP 15r052nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP 15-r052nr Touch Screen Notebook running Win 10, 64-bit, version 1909, build-18363.900.

- My Wifi card has disappeared and my wireless network does not show up as a choice when joining a network.

1) The driver listed in my Add/Delete App listing is the Ralink RT3290 802.11 b/g/n WiFi Adapter driver, version 5.0.37.0. 

2) My HP support (Discover My PC) lists the network card driver choices for my notebook are as follows:  

Drivers.jpg
3) There is no Wireless card showing up in my VISIBLE Device Manager Network choices.  However, my WiFi card does show up as a HIDDEN choice and it shows up as the Ralink RT3290 802.11 bgn; 
Device_Manager.jpg
Based on Device Manager, my Add/Delete App listing and the HP Driver Choices, I assume I have the MediaTek/Ralink RT3290 WiFi card that everyone's posts seems to complain about.  Oh Goody.

All that being said, my wireless connection disappeared from my network choices sometime in the last 6-8 months (I also have a wired LAN connection, which I use most of the time and which I'm on now).  I don't use the WiFi connection at home or at the office, only when I travel, so I didn't notice it was gone until today when I was doing some "housekeeping". I remember using it last Thanksgiving on the road, but that's time I can remember using it.

I did download and "re-install" the HP supplied Realtek and MediaTek drivers (although I didn't uninstall anything before doing so). I also went to a Microsoft site and downloaded a couple of Realtek/MediaTek CAB driver files labeled for Win 10 and I attempted to install them (no errors, so I guess I'm good). 

As of now, no change,  No visible WiFi adapter, no visible WiFi network connections; no WiFi.  (I've done the whole reboot everything I own in the house routine as well as run all of HP's "Help" routines.  No help).

Any and all help is welcome.  And if I have to, I'll replace the card (assuming I can).  Thank you in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

A quick addendum.  I didn't think to go to my Event Manager and check the log.  Here you go:

CHHCFC_0-1593300427925.png

My Event Viewer goes back to the first part of June, and there are solid NDIS errors of this nature between then and now.  Looks like there are thousands of these based on the error message.

HP Recommended

Hi:

The Ralink wifi adapter is not supported on the newer releases of W10.

That is a very common problem where the wifi and/or bluetooth completely disappears from the device manager.

There is no fix, other than to replace the internal wifi adapter or install an external USB wifi adapter.

Open up the notebook and let me know how many antenna cables are connected to the Ralink wifi card.

The number of antenna cables will determine what card you can replace it with.

Here is the link to the service manual, where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04409502

HP Recommended

I will open the machine up today and I'll let you know what kind of antenna configuration I find.

Thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.