Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream 11
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I am trying to connect my Windows 8 Netbook to my new Fios router. All my other devices connect to the new router without any problem. The netbook sees all my neighors' routers and connects to other routers without problem, but it can't find my router even if I am right next to it. The router is working fine.  I have tried all the standard turning things on and off, reinstalling the driver and the card. The router never shows up in the options to connect. What could the problem or solution be?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Did you make sure your new router is set up to broadcast on both the 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz wifi bands?

Most likely if your netbook is finding other networks to connect to, it only has a single band wifi adapter that can only connect to the 2.4 GHz wifi band.

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul, what you say makes sense, but I still haven't figured it out.

This is my router:

https://www.verizon.com/supportresources/content/dam/verizon/support/consumer/documents/home-router-...

I logged into the router and looked at the advanced settings. I believe it is broadcasting in both bands, in Legacy mode on the 2.4 band, and Compatibility mode on the 5 GHz band. Is there a way to test that it is actually broadcasting in both? I tried switching modes from legacy to compatibility and vice-versa (in both bands actually).  Are there other settings I should look at?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

According to the manual link you posted on page 22, it indicates that the Fios Home Router has one Wi-Fi name that supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals. The Self-Organizing Network (SON) feature allows your devices to move between the two signals automatically for an optimized Wi-Fi connection.

I think my Linksys router had that too, but what I did was rename the SSID on the 2.4 GHz wifi band so it could be easily picked out from the list of visible wifi networks in the area.

In other words, I set my router up to have different SSID's for the 2.4 GHz wifi band and the 5.0 GHz wifi band.

I don't know if you can do that on your router.

On pages 45 -47 there are additional settings you can tweak.

3.3c/ 802.11 MODE
From the 802.11 Mode page, you can limit the Wi-Fi access to your network by selecting the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi communication standard (mode) best suited or compatible with the devices you allow access to your Wi-Fi network.

I'm pretty sure that your router is broadcasting on both bands, but I think the wifi adapter in your stream notebook can't tell which is which when it only has one SSID.

If you let me know the model of the wifi adapter your notebook has, maybe there is a driver update for it, that resolves the issue.

If you don't know the model of the wifi adapter, go to the device manager.

Click to expand the Network Adapters device manager category.

There you will see the name and model number of the wireless network adapter.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.