Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Martynh21 Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wireless Driver Problem - Forgetful Laptop!

Pavilion g6 2380sa
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi

I had a problem with a FAT file error when booting the laptop and decided to re-install windows 8 back to the factory setting wiping all the data to try and fix.

Ever since then when i turn the laptop the wireless adaptor is disabled (orange light on the button, wont turn on).  When i look in the device manager, under network adaptors i have only a Kernel debug network adaptor and a Realtek PCIe family controller.  No wireless adaptor.

I have tried installing the Ralink drivers, which seem to work.  Once the laptop is restarted the wifi is working again, however if i restart the computer the driver is lost and needs to be re-installed.

It's like it doesnt remember the driver has been installed?

Any ideas? It is driving me crazy!! 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3,320 3,302 178 337
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, Marty. Thanks for posting. I request you to share details about the model number of the computer and Windows version to assist you.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Martynh21 Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

The model laptop is Pavilion g6 2380sa, since i have reloaded windows it is now running a standard copy of Windows 8.0 (64)

Thanks

Martyn

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3,320 3,302 178 337
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I request you to follow the steps below and check if that helps.

I would suggest you to check the power management settings for your wireless adapter and see if that help.
1.Open Network and Sharing Center (click the Start button, type Network and Sharing in the Start Search box, and press Enter)
2.Click on Change adapter settings link in the upper left of the navigation pane.
3.Right click the Wireless Adaptor to enable/disable power management support on and                 Select Properties.
4.Click Configure.
5.On the Power Management tab, check or uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box.
A. When checked, power management is enabled on the network adapter. 
B. When cleared, power management is disabled on the network adapter. 
6.You can enable Wake on LAN for all wake methods or just enable magic packet WoL:
To enable Wake on LAN for all methods, check the Allow this device to wake the computer check box. 
To enable Wake on LAN for magic packet only, check the Allow this device to wake the computer check box and then check Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer check box.
7.Click OK.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Martynh21 Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for this.

I have updated so that it can not be turned off as described.  This doesn't seem to have made any difference.

With further 'playing', it appears that when i first start the computer the network card is not listed in the device list and hence it does not try to connect to WIFI, only looking for a LAN connection.  If i immediately restart the comuter, then the network card is recognised and it connects to the WIFI as expected.

Strange, it only seems to work following the reboot, not on the initial start up?

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3,320 3,302 178 337
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I can suggest you to try a BIOS update and see how it works. Please follow the below link to download the BIOS update for your PC.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66501-67000/sp66805.exe

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Martynh21 Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the guidance, sadly this has not changed the situation.  It is still not recognising the adaptor on initial start up, only on the second reboot.

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3,320 3,302 178 337
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there, Try the steps below and check if it finds any issue with the hardware itself.

Complete these steps to open the UEFI menu when the computer is powered off.

1.       Turn on the computer.

2.       Immediately press the f2 key repeatedly, about once every second, until the UEFI menu opens.

3.       once you have access, select “Component test” in the menu and hit enter.

4.       Then select “Wireless card” and run the test Once.

5.       Capture any updates of completion results

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Martynh21 Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just tried it thanks, when i get to the menu i dont have the component check option.  I have start up test, run in check test and several other options which don't look relevant.

When i perform the start up test and run in test I can see a category whereby it should be testing the WLAN module.  However the comment next to the list states this as being 'NOT INSTALLED'.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3,320 3,302 178 337
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That's what I had predicted. The wireless module detection issue could be for various reasons. You can try reseating the Wireless card and check if that helps. If it doesn't, then I recommend you to contact the phone support for further assistance by following the link below. 

http://hp.care/2bBmes8

Follow the link below to reseat the wireless card of your PC.

http://hp.care/2c0O7qm

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation