Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Wireless network is deactivated by hp connection manager after hibernating, sleep and sometimes when I use the computer. I can't see any preferences in HP Connection Manager to correct this, or in Windows power management.

What is the solution to keep the wireless network activated ALL THE TIME??

Uinstall of the HP Connection Manager doesn't work, then I can't activate the wireless network again!

My computer:
HP ProBook 4530s (brand new)

Windows 7 Pro (included with the computer)

No other power or wireless utilities installed, just HP utilities as installed from the factory.

Hoping for a quick solution.

Thanks in advance.

- Mikael Noerrelund, Denmark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There is a setting in Connection Manager > Preferences > Device Power that COULD be set to turn off the wireless / Bluetooth when the Connection Manager has exited.  You have to select / SET the setting.  You might check, just in case...  I have never heard of the Connection Manager turning off Wireless unless it has been instructed to do so upon exit.

You can do the following in the Device Manager to leave power to the Wireless and Bluetooth device(s):

Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager > Network adapters >

Right-Click on (Intel) WiFi Link (wording will vary) >

in Properties > Power Management >

UNCHECK "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

OK

Do the same for Bluetooth...

Hope this helps...

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

There is a setting in Connection Manager > Preferences > Device Power that COULD be set to turn off the wireless / Bluetooth when the Connection Manager has exited.  You have to select / SET the setting.  You might check, just in case...  I have never heard of the Connection Manager turning off Wireless unless it has been instructed to do so upon exit.

You can do the following in the Device Manager to leave power to the Wireless and Bluetooth device(s):

Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager > Network adapters >

Right-Click on (Intel) WiFi Link (wording will vary) >

in Properties > Power Management >

UNCHECK "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

OK

Do the same for Bluetooth...

Hope this helps...

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended
Changing power management helped me, thanks a lot 🙂
HP Recommended

Excellent.  I am glad it helped.

That Device Manager setting does seem to help a lot of people; one would think it would be set the other way as a default since it is not intuitive that the system might turn off your device(s) when you want them left on.  Smiling.   You might check your Bluetooth....

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi, I did not understand well whether I should click or unclick the box in the device power tab of the HP connection manager.

I currently have it clicked for"Power on when launching HP connection manager starts".

Thanks!

HP Recommended

SoccerMaster,

Check out the Connection Manager doc below:

Connecting to a Network with Connection Manager 4.x

Excerpted from the Section entitled "Setting Preferences":

Device Power - Allows you to select what devices to power on when launching.

Figure 14: Preferences - Device Power screen
Preferences - Device Power screen

I believe you are asking which devices are Powered to the ON position when the Connection Manager is launched.

This is a personal decision based on which services you need to be running on your system at a given time.

• If you CHECK "Launch HP Connection Manager when Windows starts (Figure 2 in the doc)
 and
  • CHECK "Wi-Fi (Wireless LAN)"
  • CHECK "Bluetooth"
then
  • the Connection Manager will start when Windows starts
  • WiFi will fire up and become available for service right after the Connection Manager starts
  • Bluetooth start up will be available for service soon after the Connection Manager starts

Take a look at the settings and then select

1. When you want the Connection Manager to start
  2. What the Connection Manager displays when it does start
  3. Which services start with the Connection Manager

Click the Kudos Star! 

It is a great “Thank You” for the Author's efforts.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for the info on opening device manager and ensuring the network adapters do not allow themselves to turn off.  I cannot find where to do this for bluetooth.  Please help.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.