Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Wireless not working on my dv6000 laptop. (RP963EA#ABB) - a dv6103eu. Like many of the frustrated customers, one day that light on the wireless signal readout simple went orage no matter where to toggle it. I updated all Microsoft updates and every single driver update on the HP site for my exact model, dv6103eu. I even updated the BIOS to F.3D (11/22/2007) which is the latest on the HP site for this model. Nothing worked. I completely restored the machine to factory defaults thinking that perhaps it was a driver issue. To my complete surprise, the light is still ORANGE! I resetted the wireless card and reinstalled. Nothing. I took my wireless card to another dv6000 laptop and it requested for drivers to work so the wireless card works. What can HP for me? I am like most HP customers frustrated at this issue especially when most of the threads on this forum seem to go unanswered. PLEASE HELP!
83 REPLIES 83
HP Recommended
HP is in denial. After a month of messing around with mine, I spent $150 to have it diagnosed. They wanted to replace the mother board for around $400. But they were kind enough to tell me that I could get wifi with a $20 USB wifi. My machine was 3 weeks out of warranty. Within the next 2 months my other 3 laptops had the same issue. Also out of warranty... HP was virtually useless. They said that nobody else had those problems... 3 of 3??? I smell a recall...
HP Recommended
Hi AB, Thanks for your comments. I found something that might help. There is an HP Limited Warranty Service Enhancement. It specially deals with this wireless issue. Unfortunately, I am an American living in Ukraine and when speaking with HP Ukraine and printed this Limited Warranty, HP Ukraine told me that they have nothing to do with it. Not very professional on this side of the world. So, unfortunately, there is nothing I can do except buy another computer. Time for another Apple MacBook! I know the link below is for UK but perhaps the US has something similar. Please let me know if you find other options. http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01087194#
HP Recommended
Get the USB wifi. A lot cheaper than buying a new computer. I am switching to all Macs right now. I have had a MacBook Pro for 6 months and love it. Mac is not without issues, but boy do they stand by their products if it is a MFR issue...
HP Recommended

Yes I have the same problem.  One day the wifi light turned orange and stayed orange.  I had the same problem last year and since my laptop was under warranty they fixed it.  The same problem happened yesterday but because the warranty has lapsed the only thing I can do now is pay to get the problem fixed.  The tech support line could only give me two options - both of which will cost me.  So much for service or standing behind their product.

The only thing I know is that I WILL NEVER BUY HP AGAIN!!!!!

HP Recommended

i have the same laptop series

but i have no problem using it

here is the link to the in PDF booklet manual

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00765305.pdf

on top page 11

it has a switch to the circle #! and slide it to the right or left

i do not remember and the circle #2 is the light indicator

the switch has to be in the correct position to have wireless acces

and i do not know if any of you tried that

Please provide Kudos to whom has provided answers or
good points or advice..
Aslo if the questions or issues solved please check it
"Accepted"
Thanks and you are welcome _____ Rick
HP Recommended
HP WIFI 101, no Kudos for you...
HP Recommended

Quoting ab :

Begin Quote

Get the USB wifi. A lot cheaper than buying a new computer. I am switching to all Macs right now. I have had a MacBook Pro for 6 months and love it. Mac is not without issues, but boy do they stand by their products if it is a MFR issue...

End Quote

The joke is on you...the MB and MBP are affected by the same nVidia/Quanta issue.  Good luck!  Suggest you throw more money away and get Apple Care.

If this post has been helpful to you, please return the favor by clicking on the yellow KUDOS! icon in this box. Thank you! I'm not an HP employee, just someone trying to help others....
HP Recommended

to abs

who are you refering no kudo's

i did a search for a user name

wifi 101 and found nothing

to the rest of the other posters

i have a wireless ethernet adapter

and they are very handy

you can convert any computer into a

wireless unit including laptop that

have dead wireless buitl-in

and you are not stuck to one computer

i have several computer and it serves my

purpose for a few reasons

- no wires to run through the house and

quicker install than wiring  

- convert any computer into a wireless unit

- it is a usb adapter no need to open any

computer to install hardware

- it is easy to install

- you can take almost anywhere there is

wireless connections

Please provide Kudos to whom has provided answers or
good points or advice..
Aslo if the questions or issues solved please check it
"Accepted"
Thanks and you are welcome _____ Rick
HP Recommended

Hi, guys.

I`ve really HAD A BAD TIME looking for this solution. Actually, I read about many and many fixin methods for this problem, but none of it worked for me until I find it where I was never thinking about it: Windows Mobility Center.

It seems that when our laptops go to sleep mode or anything, wireless feature is just disabled. Don`t ask me why.

What you have to do is: go to Mobility Center (via control panel or right-click energy icon on systray) and click on turn wireless ON button! You may have to tap your wireless touch switch once again to enable it over hardware, BUT IT MIGHT WORK. Here, it did! (switching batteries, powering the laptop without battery, driver update, all that stuff, didn`t work for me. Good luck).

CHEERS!!!

Pedro

By the way, my laptop is a Pavilion DV5 Series dv5-1183cl

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.