1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

can I take advantage of WiFi 6 with this laptop

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 - 14m-dh1003dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.

I purchased this laptop Nov 2019 due to an emergency situation (my desktop hard drive died and my old laptop was toooo slowww to be able to stand it for long).  The price was right so I snagged it not knowing whether I would want to take some additional time and purchase another desktop.  But I've really liked this little laptop very much so far.

Some things I was reading about it after the purchase made me think it should be WiFi 6 compatible, but I didn't really know what I should be looking for to determine that (and still don't).  I see that the wireless adapter is:

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11b/g/n/ac (1x1)

Additional info now makes me think it would read "ax" if it were WiFi 6 compatible.  We have a WiFi 6 router, but I think I'm likely not taking advantage of the WiFi 6 benefits.  So my questions to you fine, smart folks are:

1) is this adapter capable of taking advantage of WiFi 6 and, if not,

2) is there any way I can *make* this laptop take advantage of our WiFi 6 router?

Wired or wireless, this laptop has good Internet speed when fairly near the router.  But under the current circumstances, I'm having to work in a location different from where the router is set up.  Once I come into this location (maybe 15-20 yards from the router *and* with a door to the room closed), my speed drops from the 200mbps range to anywhere from 10-35mbps -- which, when falling to the lower end of that, doesn't work well/consistently during online meetings.  Before I string a wire from the router into this location, I was interested to learn if I can do anything to take advantage of our WiFi 6 router's (Asus RT-AX88U) touted extended range.

Thanks much for your comments and suggestions!

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation