Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
probook 4530s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm running windows 10 x64 on a probook 4530s. I know this device has bluetooth, specs say it does plus it has drivers for it as well. but apparently windows says there's no bluetooth on it. when i install bluetooth drivers made for windows 8.1 x64 (as i have done for every other hardware on this device) it says that "the device is not present". what do I do? I really need bluetooth

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you are sure the notebook has bluetooth, most likely, the bluetooth turned off with the HP connection manager in W7 when the PC was upgraded to W10.

When that happens, the bluetooth stays off and the connection manager doesn't work on W10.

The easiest way to get the BT to work in that situation is to make a bootable Ubuntu installer from the link below.

https://ubuntu.com/download

Boot from the Ubuntu installer.  Select the option to "Try Ubuntu without installing."

If the PC has bluetooth hardware, you should be able to turn it on in Ubuntu.

Once you do that, shut down the PC, remove the Ubuntu installer, turn it back on and the bluetooth should be enabled and present in the device manager.

You may find that the BT doesn't work because many of the wifi adapters that came with your notebook have bluetooth radios that don't work on W10.

HP Recommended

did what you said and even ubuntu says "bluetooth not found" I guess that means that the device doesn't have the hardware for it. What i want to know is then why does the spec sheet say it has bluetooth plus why are there drivers for it on the hp website

HP Recommended

Some 4530s models don't have bluetooth.

It depends on what model wifi adapter your specific notebook has.

In order to tell if your notebook has bluetooth from a spec sheet, you need to know the product number.

If you just look at a general spec sheet, it is not accurate.

If the spec sheet for your model's product number indicates Bluetooth, then the specs were incorrect.

If you let me know the full model number of your wireless network adapter, I will let you know if the wifi adapter is a combination wifi/bluetooth adapter.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.