Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I connect my HP Envy laptop to an AT&T tablet hotspot in a rural location to connect to the internet.  The signal from the tower to hotspot is strong, but will instantaneously disconnect and reconnect about every 30 minutes or so.  During that time, my laptop disconnects and won't reconnect back to the hotspot on its own.  In order to connect to the hotspot again, I must turn off the hotspot and then turn it back on again.  That is the only way my laptop will connect to the hot spot again.  These are the issues:

1.  The hotspot says it's broadcasting and sees my laptop even though my laptop doesn't see the hotspot and is broadcasting because my phone says it's still connected;

2.  My phone doesn't get interrupted at all that I can tell when I connect to the hotspot through my phone;

3.  Rebooting my laptop won't refresh the situation and allow my laptop to connect to the hotspot, it just says there is no internet connection;

4.  The laptop never disconnects from my wifi at home.

This happens over and over, all day every day while on vacation.  It seems that in the instant the hot spot disconnects from the tower my phone seaches and reconnects where my HP laptop doesn't do that search to reconnect.  Is there something I can turn on to have it search to reconnect after it's been disconnected?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @kr6ssy,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. There will be no wireless zero configuration service as the operating system is windows 8.1. 

Please follow all the steps in this link: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Common-fixes-for-wireless-connectivity... and check if this resolves the issue.

if this does not resolve the issue, then please perform these steps:

1) Start Menu > Control Panel > Administrative Tools for the Classic View (long list of items) or Start Menu > Control Panel > > Performance and Maintenace > Administrative Tools for Category View (colorful, big icons).

2) Double-click Services.

3) In this window, click the Name column header (where is says “Name”) to sort by the service name.

4) Scroll down to find WLAN AutoConfig service. Stop the service first. Then restart it and make sure that it runs automatically.

5) Make sure that dependency services are also stopped and restarted.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi! @kr6ssy, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand when you connect your laptop to the hotspot it disconnects every 30 minutes and will not reconnect.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Please try the steps recommended below.

1) Start Menu > Control Panel > Administrative Tools for the Classic View (long list of items) or Start Menu > Control Panel > > Performance and Maintenace > Administrative Tools for Category View (colorful, big icons).

3) In this window, click the Name column header (where is says “Name”) to sort by the service name.

4) Scroll down to find Wireless Zero Configuration. Right-click this row and select Stop.

5)  Close the window.

6. Check if the issue persists. 

Also, If the issue still persists please provide the product number and operating system of your laptop.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

There is no Wireless zero configuration option to select in my computer.  I have an HP Envy with windows 8.1 OS. Model m7-k111dx.  In addition, now that I'm home, my computer disconnects from the internet when I close the lid and this it to my normal wifi connection, not even using the hotspot.  Then, I have to reboot the computer for it to see the wireless connection now.  It won't see it any other way.

HP Recommended

Hi @kr6ssy,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. There will be no wireless zero configuration service as the operating system is windows 8.1. 

Please follow all the steps in this link: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Common-fixes-for-wireless-connectivity... and check if this resolves the issue.

if this does not resolve the issue, then please perform these steps:

4) Scroll down to find WLAN AutoConfig service. Stop the service first. Then restart it and make sure that it runs automatically.

5) Make sure that dependency services are also stopped and restarted.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Not sure about the hotspot problem but the sleep problem was cured by uninstalling and reinstalling the network driver.  I will check the hotspot problem next time I go on vacation.

HP Recommended

Hi @kr6ssy,

I reviewed the response and greatly thank you for accepting this as a solution. If it is connecting to the home wifi network, then the issue is resolved as it should connect to other networks also, which includes the wifi Hotspot. 

It has been an absolute privilege to have worked with you and shared this platform with you. 🙂 I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Do take care stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.