Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
15-e084ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My rt 3290 needs to be changed and i would like to upgrade it but i need to know if flashing to bios f.39 rev a will remove white list.  i currently have bios f.22. 

Since a month after i bought my laptop i have had no bluetooth and now the signal has dropped off.  when i looked the antenna posts had come off the wifi board.  I think i must have done it when i was blowing the dust out of my computer.  I am looking to put in a qualcomm Atheros ar9462

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook does not have a BIOS whitelist.

I recommend you go with this dual band AC card with bluetooth...

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo    HP Part # 724935-001

You should be able to find the card on Amazon or eBay.

Do your search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

Before installing the new card, uninstall the Ralink wifi and bluetooth drivers/bluetooth software.

Here are the links to the W10 wifi and bluetooth drivers for the Broadcom wifi card.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp78001-78500/sp78044.exe

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp75001-75500/sp75330.exe

HP Recommended

you say it is not whitelisted while another post says it does.  This is the text from that post:

Provost
Provost
Provost
72170 8743 18774
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post

Hi,

Your machine is an HP Pavilion 15-e084ca Notebook PC which was built early 2013. The chance to upgrade WiFi card is slim to nil because the whitelist in BIOS. Option: if you wish, buy a dongle USB wireless ac card, not expensive.

Regards.

BH
Are you saying there is no whitelist because the f.22 bios had it removed?
Also the card you suggested is $152 but a bcm94352hmb is $34 but says it isn't compatible with an hp.  Can you tell me the difference.  What i see is the more expensive card has "HP" in the name but uses the same chipset.
Before i spend money i don't have i want to have answers i feel comfortable with, unless you or HP will pay for a card that doesn't work when it should.
HP Recommended

I'm saying that that model series never had a whitelist.

And updating to the latest BIOS would not change a thing.

I'm not paying for anything that doesn't work, I can guarantee you that.

All I can tell you is that I have helped several forum members install different wifi cards in the 15-e notebook series.

You can take the risk or not.  That's up to you.

I see plenty of the HP supported cards on ebay.ca in the $30's.

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=724935-001&_sop=15

...and you can see this discussion regarding upgrading the wifi card in the 15-eXXX model series...the same card I recommended worked in that model and I have no reason to believe that it wouldn't work in yours.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Can-I-upgrade-my-wifi-card/td-p/59084...

HP Recommended

I find you reply confusing.  My computer was manufactured in August 2013 and from many other posts i have seen that until 2015 hp practice was to have a white list.  The link you put goes to cards that have a sps number and that makes me doubt your reply.  If there is no white list in my bios why do i need a card with an hp sps number when there are identical cards without the number for less (and new from a reliable retailer).  Even if you installed sps coded cards in other models like mine it doesn't answer the question, it avoids the issue all together. Would updating the bios rid a white list plagued bios of the whitelist?  What difference does the sps number make to the card other than give a reference to get through the white list?

My experience with ebay has not been good so i prefer to avoid it even if it costs me more.   I didn't do an exhaustive search on ebay but all but one of the ones i saw were used.  I do not want to put someone elses problem card into my computer.

As for you paying that was said to get you to see i want an answer i can trust, if you won't stand behind your comments why should I?  I never expected you to say "sure i'll pay" but rather offer some assurance (Fact) that i could believe that didn't contradict other experts on this forum.

I am sorry if this is worded harshly, i am frustrated with this whole issue and lack of a clear cut answer or solution. 

HP Recommended

I gave you a link to a discussion that proves a different wifi card works on two different 15-eXXX notebook models.

What more can I do? 

Your experience with eBay is not the same as mine.  I have bought tons of used stuff on eBay and never had an issue.

Most of the listings state the cards are tested and working. 

Sellers usually strip the good parts from notebooks with bad motherboards or other issues, and sell them off.

I was suggesting a wifi card that that I knew would work.

What more proof do you need to conclude that your notebook does not have a BIOS whitelist?

If you want to put a different model wifi card in there than what I recommended, then be my guest.

I wouldn't install an Intel wifi card because it may not work, since your notebook has AMD hardware, but that is up to you.

One of those 15-eXXX models had an Intel processor, which is why the Intel 7260 AC card worked in that one.

Good bye, and good luck.

HP Recommended

Hello Sir, I have HP Envy 4-1245tu touchsmart sleekbook laptop. Bought it on July, 2013. Running on i5 3rd Gen processor and graphics in Intel HD. I want to upgrade the wifi card to Intel AX200 Or AX201. Please tell me if this card will be suitable for my laptop or not? If not then which card will be suitable? I need Wifi AC 2x2 MU-MIMO. Waiting for your reply Sir.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.