Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gzz1
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hp 6970 cannot restart internet after new router says locked by person who hooked up printer

hp pffice jet6970
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have a hp 6970 printer. after getting a new router, when the AT&T service guy was here he could not set up the internet because he didn't know the "users" info. Well, my husband who is great at saving NO information does not have set up info anymore and the printer is saying it is "locked by who first installed it" (alias my dumbass husband!). 

So it's my job it seems....Help Me😭😭!!

Can you help me get my internet working again; PLEASE!! I will be so thankful to you

I do follow instructions well, FYI, Thanks, Geri  [edit] if you need to call, 

or[edit](cha-cha is my cat, and she does love me,) My husband depending on the day, not so much....Especially if I get a problem fixed he can't.

1 REPLY 1
Level 15
Level 15
18,269 18,214 1,705 4,000
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hp 6970 cannot restart internet after new router says locked by person who hooked up printer

@gzz1 

The router being locked and printer issue are very different problems -- and you really need to open a new thread in the Printers section for the second, after dealing with the first.

Long ago, when you bought a new router, to set it up, you entered a login name of Admin and a password of Admin -- and yeah, this was a really SERIOUS security issue because nearly no one every changed those, thus exposing their home networks to any hacker that got int.

More recently, router manufactures changed this and each router now comes with its own login name and own password -- and these are printed on a sticker on the router case.

Also, there is always a reset button on the router somewhere, usually on the back, which you press in with a pen and hold for 30 seconds.  That will force a hardware reset of the router so that when it restarts, it will then take the login and password shown on the printed sticker.

I am moving this thread to the Networking section, as this is a Router issue.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation