Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp G71
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Though about 10 yrs old, ( I have 25 yr old dell and other laptops working fine with win 10) the wifi/wireless net  on this laptop was working fine . recently, wifi would not find any available wireless network though the hardware blue indicator light seems to be up most of the time. 

- ethernet wireline adapter mostly works OK though sometimes did not come up. 

- tried even another brnad new  external wifi usb netadapter (realtek 802.11 N/ac)  same issue no available network.

-new router netgear works fine with all other laptop and remember worked fine for many moths no-issue. No physical hw damage on the laptop or router

-bios F20, did not see one setting regarding wifi or network ( I think I even reset to default config) 

- have another identical Hp G71 laptop that still works totally fine . but noticed bios is F21 ( though saw no difference in settings) - explain that!

- MS windows so called support experts could not fix, and have no explanations except directing me to HP support.

- except for auto windows periodic update ( happens almost every week or even more frequently) , did not change anything. though can't help but thinking one of these updates might have screwed it up and do not even report such error.

- windows troubleshoot could not find any issue except " can't connect to wifi network" (duh!) 

-clean  reinstalled windows 10 multiple times even by the microsoft people, even tried clean install ubuntu linux 20.04 LTS

- nothing works 

- I was thinking about copying the BIOS from the working G71 laptop and reinstall on this machine. How do I do that?  - can you suggest  as I can not find the BIOS F21 or any other BIOS upgrade  from hp or the OEM

This has been very frustrating, could any hp laptop expert help? Thank you in advance

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.