Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
4540s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.

I upgraded my 4540s with "Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235". This card is officially supported by HP:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03758231

Win10 is also supported by Intel

HP provides drivers: https://support.hp.com/ru-ru/drivers/selfservice/hp-probook-4540s-notebook-pc/5229455

But they are officially only for Win7 only, and the version is 15.

But this card has a problem that was officially solved by Intel only with 17 driver version

For some reason, Intel doesn't provide drivers for this card any more

So, my question is: what is the best version of driver to use, and where can I download it?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

I can't find any W10 drivers for any HP notebook made during that era and even the models that came out a year later.

Looking at the Microsoft Update catalog I would try 

15.18.0.175.7 MB

Microsoft Update Catalog

How I install drivers from that site is to download the cabinet file.

Install 7-zip from the link below.  The 64 bit driver is the second one at the top of the page.

7-Zip (7-zip.org)

After you install 7-zip, right click on the Intel wifi driver cabinet file you downloaded.

Select 7-Zip from the list of items on the menu.

Have 7-Zip Extract to:  and let it extract the file into its folder name.  Ignore any errors.  A driver folder will be created.

Once that is done, go to the device manager, click on the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 wifi adapter needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option and browse to the driver folder that 7-Zip created.

Make sure the Include subfolders box is checked and see if the driver updates.

Another thing you may want to experiment with is if the Intel 7260AC wifi card works in that model.

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

There is a possibility your notebook does not have a BIOS whitelist.  I can't say for 100% sure, but it is possible.

HP Recommended

Thank you!

I will try.

>Looking at the Microsoft Update catalog

Does it mean win10 would install it automatically btw?

Link you provided has version 15, but it seems that I need version 17 

https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Sporadic-but-recurring-connection-dropouts-on-an-Intel-6235/...

>Another thing you may want to experiment with is if the Intel 7260AC wifi card works in that model.

Wow, this card is supported by Intel and driver version is 21, so if it would work with my card, then I am lucky.

This driver (as any Windows driver probably) has .inf file with list of PCI ID of all cards it supports, it could be that it has my card ID.

>There is a possibility your notebook does not have a BIOS whitelist.  I can't say for 100% sure, but it is possible.

I read about it somewhere on this forum: there were a guy who said 4540s has whitelist.

Some people on the Internet even created hacked versions of BIOS with whitelist removed (something I really do not want to try, because it can brick my laptop and I do not have hardware programmer to fix it).

Unfortunately, I do not have 11ac card to try, and even if I were, almost all 11ac are M.2 and my laptop only has Mini PCI-E. There are adapters for that, but I am not sure it they would work correctly..

Anyway, I will try both: driver from the Catalog (which Windows should install automatically I suppose) and 7260AC driver.

Thank you again.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.