3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

not connecting to dlink wlan

HP Recommended
HP Envy dv6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a unique problem ( I think!)

My hp envy dv6 laptop cannot detect one particular wireless router: the DLink DIR 816. IT can sees many others including my phone's hotspot. I tried reinstalling the hardware (Ralink RT5390R). Scanned through the router channels etc. but with no avail. Every other device at home can connect to router but this laptop. I made sure this laptop is not blocked or prevented to connect. Of course it works fine with the ethernet, but wireless network is completely invisible to this laptop

Wireless Network  Router Dlink EIR 816, with the latest firmware ( 12/2016)

Laptop Envy DV6 with a Ralink RT5390R wireless Network Card

Any advice will be helpful!

3 REPLIES 3
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
90,524 90,401 11,627 24,920
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@vkasi

I don't know your HP Envy dv6 computer but the RT5390R only supports 2.4GHz networks and your router

http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/products/dir-816l-wireless-ac750-cloud-router

supports dual band or both 2.4GHz and 5.0 GHz networks.

Now, please allow your DIR-816L router to broadcast BOTH (dual) bands which are 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz. Your dv6 should be able to see your router.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
vkasi
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the input Banhein!

Yes my router does broadcast and is currently broadcasting in  in both 2.4GHz and 5 GHz modes. I even named them differently ( nothing but cosmetic!) but that did not help. Currently I am going through all the broadcast channels and see which one becomes visible

@banhien wrote:

@vkasi

I don't know your HP Envy dv6 computer but the RT5390R only supports 2.4GHz networks and your router

http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/products/dir-816l-wireless-ac750-cloud-router

supports dual band or both 2.4GHz and 5.0 GHz networks.

Now, please allow your DIR-816L router to broadcast BOTH (dual) bands which are 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz. Your dv6 should be able to see your router.

Regards.

0 Kudos
vkasi
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Changing the broadcasting channel did the trick. The default broadcasting channel was 13. Using a WiFi analyzer, I found channel 6 least crowded. There were too many collisions when I was using 40MHz. So selecting 20MHz bandwidth for broadcasting channel 6 allowed my laptop to detect the signal.

I will be posting more details about alternative channels and bandwidths once I am done trying out the options seen in the network analyzer.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation