cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 2
19 18 0 6
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

"No Internet, Secured" Wifi Issue on TWO brand new HP Envy x360 15" tablets

HP Recommended
HP Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We have 3 wifi access ports in our house and perhaps a dozen tablets and phones that connect to them with no problems.

Today we took delivery of two HP Envy x360 15" Laptops and both will only connect to one of the access ports. On the other access ports we can sometimes get a connection for a few seconds after rebooting the access port, then the connection is dropped and we get the "No Internet, Secured" messages. Signal strength is not an issue.

Have spent 6 hours running Windows updates, driver updates, reinstalling drivers, searching forums, running trouble shooters etc. Can't find anything obviously wrong or a solution.

Some forums say to change the power management settings in Device Manager but there don't appear to be any.  

The trouble shooter mostly reports it cant connect to the DNS server but that's no surprise as I cannot ping anything when the connection is down, and I can ping the DNS server from other devices on the same wifi access point.

They use the Realtek RTL8822CE and the driver is version 2024.0.10.210   23/12/2019. Is there a more recent version I should try? 

Any other suggestions before we think about sending them both back?  

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
123,076 113,257 18,231 27,815
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

There is a newer version of the driver...

2024.0.10.217     06/04/2020

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp107501-108000/sp107515.exe

That model wifi card (and the RTL8821CE) is plagued with issues and I don't know why HP continues to use them in their PCs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
19 18 0 6
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Paul. 

Have downloaded and installed that driver but it doesn't seem to have improved anything. 

Honestly wouldn't recommend people by this laptop based on our experience. Yesterday I tried 4 access points all of which work fine for Motorola, Samsung ,and Apple devices we own. Even a old Tesco Tablet connects fine to all of them. These two HP would only connect to one of them and that was unreliable. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

No matter what company you buy from, stay away from PC's with those cards in them.

Find a model with an Intel wifi card.

Most of the new models come with the Intel AX200 cards.

I just got a HP Envy x360 15-ee0047nr, and even though that model has an AMD Ryzen processor, it has an Intel AX 200 wifi adapter.

No problems connecting to my Linksys router with it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
19 18 0 6
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It seems I may have found a solution..

I was trying to work out why some access points were OK and others not. Eventually noticed the problem APs had an option to set the bandwidth to either 20 or 40 MHz that was set to auto. Setting this to 20Mhz fixed appears to have solved the problem. Although why this is only an issue for these two laptops is beyond me.

Also tried a cheap USB WiFi dongle in the laptops and that also worked regardless of the bandwidth setting, and reports a 6 to 10db improvement in signal strength.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That is very odd you can't use the 20/40 auto option, and that it only affects those two PC's.

Oh well, at least you can connect now.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation