Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Intel i3-4030U dont know the serial namebut is a 2014 laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello HPforum,

im sorry for my bad spelled english,but im from Italy so im trying to do my best without using google translator.

I know so far that this type of wifi adapter has a lot of issue,because ive searched a lot of informations previously,but this problem this is a new one that ive never tested before.

So I have my laptop that has worked good since last 3 years,even with some problems with the driver of this adpter,that lately has been solved by uploading it with the newest possible version (number 5.0.57.1 on date 5.18.2015).Suddendly this summer ive tested a new problem,far way worse than all of those i had before.

This one is basically disconnecting my wifi connection,and after few times im reconnecting on it, all the networks just disappears from the list,even the one i used to  be connected with...The problem can be temporarely solved by restarting the laptop,or disabling the adapter from the computer management trough the device management window - and network adapters selection.

After has been enabled, all the networks reappear and the problem starts again after a while until it apparently seems to be stabilised....

So i want to ask at this point if is possible to make an upgrade to change this device with a better one,or just find another way to solve it...

Apparently i can say thatthis type of device has a lot of problems,because ive searched on internet for solutions,and i founded a lot of people blaming this brand.Im pretty sure that my wifi router is setted well,because i have a brand new so since the last 3 years has worked very well,with all of our devices that we have at home,except for my laptop.

Thank you for the answers...

If something is mispelled im very sorry and i apologize

Federico

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You have a HP 15-R017TU NOTEBOOK PC...probably made in 2013 or 2014 at the latest.

Here is the link to the specs page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04439136

Here is the link to the service manual...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04409502

The next question I have will require you to take the notebook apart and find out how many wifi antenna cables are connected to the Ralink wifi card.

If there are two antenna cables, you can upgrade to this dual band AC wifi card with Bluetooth...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

If there is only one antenna cable, then if you want to still have both wifi and bluetooth, you would only be able to replace the Ralink card with this one...

Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11bgn 1×1 + BT 4 LE Combo Adapter    HP part # 753077-001

You should be able to find these cards on eBay or Ali Express.

Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi, Federico:

In order to help you find a replacement for the troublesome Ralink wifi card, I need to know the product number of your notebook.

So, use this guide to find that information...please do not post the serial number.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_2039298-1862169-16

HP Recommended

Thank you,

so ive read the instructions in the link and i have downloaded the hp assistant.

It says:

HP 15 Notebook PC

serial number ******

product number  G8D97PA#ABG

Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version: 19041.508

Then i can say that from the icon it looks like the new 2020 pavillion even from the features because hardware are pretty similar as mine, that is a product from 2014-2015.

the processor is a intel core i3 with 1.9 mh

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You have a HP 15-R017TU NOTEBOOK PC...probably made in 2013 or 2014 at the latest.

Here is the link to the specs page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04439136

Here is the link to the service manual...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04409502

The next question I have will require you to take the notebook apart and find out how many wifi antenna cables are connected to the Ralink wifi card.

If there are two antenna cables, you can upgrade to this dual band AC wifi card with Bluetooth...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

If there is only one antenna cable, then if you want to still have both wifi and bluetooth, you would only be able to replace the Ralink card with this one...

Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11bgn 1×1 + BT 4 LE Combo Adapter    HP part # 753077-001

You should be able to find these cards on eBay or Ali Express.

Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for the info,im very grateful!

Do you know if there is a way to see or to know how many antennas there are without open the shell of the laptop?

Im working hard now and for the next months on this laptop and i would like to keep doing it without the stress of open everything now...Maybe with id product?There is a way to know it?

Ive already opened the laptop because ive upgraded the ram and the hd,it has taken a LOT....

And also last question....After ive purchased the card do i need some special drivers to reboot it after ive installed it?

Or is just a plug and play position...

HP Recommended

As a help I can say that the notebook receives only 2.4 gh or mh band because the wifi router that i have at home has 2 antennas one is working 2.4 and the other is 5.The laptop can receive only 2.4....Does it make sense?

Can it help to find out if it have one or two antennas?

Thank you very much

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell by the model number.

Some of the 15-rxxx models have two antenna cables and some only have one.

Even if the Ralink card is only capable of working on the 2.4 GHz wifi band, it is very possible that it has two wifi antenna cables connected to it.

The Intel card I posted will work with one cable if you attach the cable to the wifi card's Main antenna terminal, but the Bluetooth will not work.

So, if you don't need Bluetooth, and your notebook only has one antenna cable, the Intel card will work.

You're going to have to open up the notebook to be sure.  No other way.

And yes...it is not easy to get to the wifi card in that model.  It will be like installing the memory.

HP Recommended

Good morning 

yesterday night ive work ed on The laptop and after ive disassembled the plastic shell  I finally founded the wifi device.i could see that on the card there are available 2 channels but there is just one connected to an antenna That goes through the screen.

so now I wonder I can only choose the second option you gave me If I don’t want to lose the Bluetooth...I’ve never really have used it but I would like to keep it....

another question...at this point I could also improve the mother board without spending a lot of money(less than a 100 euro) could you suggest me one that for sure fits in the case?
maybe with a better processor and USB 3.0 ports?

thank you in advance

appreciated the effort

HP Recommended

Good morning.

Sorry that the notebook only has one antenna cable.

So, if you want Bluetooth, buy the Realtek card I posted.

That has decent driver support for W10 and you shouldn't have any issues with it that I know of.

Motherboards...really not worth the trouble.

You would be restricted to only the motherboards offered in the model series in chapter 3 of the service manual, and they probably would be very hard to find.

You would have to make sure the motherboard you buy has a Windows product key in the BIOS, or you would also have to buy a new Windows license which alone must cost over 100 Euros.

And your current version of W10 will become invalid, so you would have to reinstall W8.1 and upgrade back to W10.

Your notebook has a USB 3 port according to the specs I posted yesterday.

External Ports
  • 1 USB 3.0
  • 1 HDMI
  • 1 RJ-45
  • 1 headphone/microphone combo

If you look at chapter 2, page 7 of the service manual I posted yesterday, the USB 3 port is supposed to be the one on the left side of the notebook, illustrated as item #8.

HP Recommended

Ok so,

really thank you for all these informations.

i really appreciated the help.

So now last one I promise.

i just won’t buy anymore another motherboard because it seems also difficult to find a proper one with way more better settings.

what I want to know is if I add myself another antenna that will goes like the other one through the display but in the opposite part of the first one. I will be able to use the other wifi card?and maybe to have a better connection?

and also it’s possible that all this big problems I had since now with the wifi should be made by the absence of another antenna ?

thank you very much

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.