Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

replacement wifi card or antenna

HP Notebook - 15-r132wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My notebook only finds wifi if it is within a few feet of the router. The router is not the problem--my smartphone does not have a problem with wifi. And my notebook will not pickup wifi in other places with good routers.

A tech told me it is probably my wifi card. But would I be picking up wifi at all (even a few feet from the router) if the card were bad? If you think it is more likely the card, then what are some good replacement cards? Would like to get 5g as well as 2.4g if possible. If it is the antenna, what kind of antenna do I get?  Please be as specific as possible. Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
Level 19
Level 19
80,623 80,517 10,026 21,589
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your machine has

1x1 802.11b/g/n WLAN  card

Source : http://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c04504172

and antenna is built-in around its screen. New anntena may not work and adding/replacing it can be like a heart operation. It may simply loose from the connector. My suggestion: reseat the antenna. Pages 61 & 62 of the following manual may help:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04409502.pdf

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
mephitis725
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you.

I researched and saw how difficult it would be to replace the antenna. And I am all thumbs. Hoping I don't have to deal with that. I'll check the antenna connection. ( I did drop the laptop and the battery popped off. Maybe it jarred the antenna connection loose.)

But you think it is more likely an antenna problem than a wifi-card problem? If it was the card, would I still be able to get wifi close to the router?

0 Kudos
mephitis725
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. Turns out it is my wifi card. It is 1x1 802.11b/g/n WLAN card. It's a 2.4G. Can I replace it with a 5G? Do you have recommendation for replacement?

laptop is HP Notebook - 15-r132wm Model #: K7W77UA

0 Kudos
donsmitty
Level 2
26 24 0 1
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

how did you determine it was the card? i have same issues and have tried all the tech suggested solutions

0 Kudos
mephitis725
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I took it to a well-reputed computer repair shop that does not charge for diagnosing. Tech verified problem. He opened up the computer and said there was nothing to indicate antenna problem. Did some tests to determine if there was a software, virus, malware problem.  Nothing. Maybe other tests. Said it was the card. Said sometimes this happens with cards.

0 Kudos
donsmitty
Level 2
26 24 0 1
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thank you for the info. i will take it to a similar shop and try the wifi card replacement route. i will also keep checking forums, at this point i do not think any of the wifi,driver updates are working and the card is the next attempt.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation