Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

how do I reset the admin password?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello nitagirl :generic:

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I can definitely help you change the printer's admin password!

1. Double-click on the printer icon on the desktop to open the HP Printer Assistant.

2. Click on the "Printer Home Page (EWS)" option.

3. This will open a webpage with the printer. Click on the "Settings" tab on top.

4. On the right, under "Security" click on "Password settings". (Verify the page if you are asked to.)

5. Type the password you want in both password fields (or leave it blank if you do not want a password) and hit "Apply".

That's it! Please let me know if this helps! Thanks!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Mario,

Thank you. But these instructions did not work. 

1. When I clicked on the printer icon, I didn't see the home page option.

2. I went to the 10.x.x.x ip on teh network and got to EWS

3. I clicket on setting and found password settings but the instructions didn't work.

does it matter that I am not on the original computer that I installed the printer from the first time?

I am working from a 2nd compouter on my network now.  Should that matter? The original computer was wireless and this one is wired.

Help!

HP Recommended

Well, it should be done on the original connection and through a wireless network. These steps should work, though. Don't forget that leaving it blank should remove a password. You can also alter the password to something easy if that doesn't work.

Mario

HP Recommended

I am also having trouble resetting my password. When I open the assistant, I am giving 4 choices: HP Print, FInd Ink, Visit forum, View Printers. No home page option.

HP Recommended

Hello JBSmith1,

Please follow these instructions to reset your admin password:

1. Double-click on the printer icon on the desktop to open the HP Printer Assistant.

2. Click on the "Printer Home Page (EWS)" option.

3. This will open a webpage with the printer. Click on the "Settings" tab on top.

4. On the right, under "Security" click on "Password settings". (Verify the page if you are asked to.)

5. Type the password you want in both password fields (or leave it blank if you do not want a password) and hit "Apply".

Please let me know what happens. Thanks!

Mario

HP Recommended

The instructions above don't work if you've already set a password and that password isn't working.  Are instructions available for resetting the 8600 admin password from the original PC (Windows 7 OS) or through the Officejet control panel?

Thanks,

Ga_Peach_2k1

HP Recommended

Well, i don't know what's happening here.. but the user question was to RESET password on printer login page..
your answer isn't apply..
I'm having the same problem.. and what's mean that we use an user and password to login.. and we need to reset that configuration!!

The world is big, and it is easy .. just need to be proven!
HP Recommended

I had searched for the answer to this, and the following is a solution that can be done on the printer's touch panel:

*If you do not know how to set up the network portion, please copy down the IP address, Subnet Mask, and Gateway. Also, take note if DHCP is turned On or Off. If ON, the network configuration is done automatically. To know if DHCP is active:

1. If you connect your laptop without having to enter an IP address/Mask/Gateway IP, then you most likely have DHCP active.

2. Choose the option to print the Netowrk Info (wired and wireless). This should have all the information that you need.

The Password Reset Instructions (I found this on the printer one day):

1.From the main page of the touch panel, choose the wi-fi icon on the bottom row

2.From the new page, select the small "gear" icon on the bottom

3.Scroll down, and select, "Restore Network Defaults"

4.The resulting page will forewarn you that the reset  will erase all network settings including the elusive "Embedded Web Password," password.  Select OK.

HP Recommended

I cannot print from my iPad. When I go to settings and try to select hp-print-77-office jet pro8600...it asks me for a password???

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.