Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
zbook 15 g6
Linux

debian linux: cannot simultaneously use wifi an sound 

buster (10): sound works fine but i cannot find a way to make wifi usable - no device found.

bullseye (11): wifi works fine but i cannot find a way to make sound usable - no device found.

what can i do to make both components usable in the same installation?

thanks in advance for any answers.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

For Debian 10, since Debian 11 has not officially been released, have you installed the iwlwifi firmware from the repositories assuming you enabled the non-free repositories beforehand after the installation or by including them in the apot sources list?

My Setup:
HP Notebook: HP 14-dk0028wm
Current Operating System: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
HP Recommended

sad to write, installing firmware-iwlwifi did not change anything. i guess this is because my notbook has an intel wi-fi 6 ax200 lan adapter which is not in the list of supported wireless lan adapters.

HP Recommended

for the records: according to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005511/network-and-i-o/wireless-networki... there is no linux support for the ax200 wlan adapter.

HP Recommended

According to this article , It says it is compatible with the linux kernel 5.1 and newer. Have you tried updating the kernel as listed on this guide . If your wifi worked on Debian 11, then I am assuming if you upgrade to a later kernel (as stated previously, a kernel that is 5.1 or newer) or by switching Debian Stable to Debian Testing or Debian Sid, then the problem should be fixed on Debian 10, at the very least.

My Setup:
HP Recommended

yes, i also assume,  will work after an upgrade to kernel 5.1.i also assume, the sound module will no longer work after this upgrade.  sound is more important (web conf and the like) i refrain from doing the kernel upgrade and keep using a cable connection.

giving up searching for a config which will support both devices in one installation. 

HP Recommended

How would you know if you haven't tried installing a newer kernel. There's no reason that the sound card sto not work.  For all we might know, it might have been a bug in Debian 11 since it isn't in its final stages yet. The only way to see whether it would fix the prohlem is to try it out yourself. You can use timeshift to make a restore point in case you wish to revert.

My Setup:
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.