dadaoo7 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

slow download speed on new laptop (inspite good connection)

hp 17-x014nm
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have just bought new hp notebook 17-x014nm (i3). It was free dos so I installed win7 64bit. Friend of mine (since I'm an amateur) installed bunch of drivers and it all seemed ok (except problems with spontaneous changing display graphics, I was told because it has AMD & Intel graphics, or something like that... but he fixed it)

Now I see that wifi connection is extremely slow - when I try to download it's 70/80 kbps, although signal quality is excellent and speed is reported 48 Mbps. I tried it on other network, it's the same. And this new laptop (8GB RAM, 256 SSD...) is supposed to be much better then the old one, but the old one was much faster. Could it be something with wifi driver? Or any other idea how to fix this, please?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
19284 19242 1254 2019
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @dadaoo7,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand you are having slow internet connection on your new HP notebook. Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you tried updating the drivers?

The compatibility of your router with the wireless card,

If the wireless card is 1x1: supports 2.4ghz and below - slow connection and download/upload speed,

If it's 2x2 or more: support 5ghz and above - Fast connected and speed.

Here are your Product specifications: Click here for details.

In the meantime, let's try to update the Bios, Chipset drivers, and Wi-Fi drivers from our HP support website, Click here: https://support.hp.com/drivers

For more details, please follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP PCs - Slow Internet Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 8)

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts,

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
dadaoo7 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Jeet_Singh,

thank you for being interested in my problem.

My first step was to update the drivers, which I tried using device manager. It says I've got the newest drivers.

I also tried the link from hp support, but for my model of laptop only windows 10 OS is offered, not win7.

I don't know how to find the specs for my wireless card, it's not in the specs on the link you mentioned.

I don't know if this can help - hardware ID for wi-fi  adapter (Realtek RTL 8723BE) is:

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_B723&SUBSYS_81C1103C&REV_00
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_B723&SUBSYS_81C1103C
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_B723&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_B723&CC_0280

Regards

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
19284 19242 1254 2019
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @dadaoo7,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you are having slow download speed on your new HP laptop. I just wanted to check if you have followed the steps suggested to update the Bios and Chipset drivers from our HP Support website.

I did look at the product specifications and found that  Wireless connectivity

802.11b/g/n (1x1) and Bluetooth® 4.0 combo (Miracast compatible), for more please go through this link.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation