Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Spectre x360 convertible that I bought back in June which I love except I am having internet speed issues. I have a gigabit connection with fiber in the house. When I plug into the ONT for the fiber connection using a USB-C to RJ45 adapter I am only able to reach download speeds of around 500 Mbps however my upload speeds will go above 900. When I am on WiFi, the download speeds will only hit about 425, while the upload speeds hit 300. When the cable company was here they were able to hit 900+ for both the up down speeds on their laptop when they plugged into the ONT to test. 

My laptop has an Intel Wireless 8265 chip in it and when I look at the connection in the control panel, the speed only says 780 Mbps, not the 867 the chip is capable of. I am wondering if it could be because I am using the adapter and not plugging the ethernet cable directly into the PC itself. Anyone else having this issue?

I am running the most current version of Windows and I have updated the Wifi card driver by doing a clean install.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@OnTheRoadGuy,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. I understand you are having issues slow internet issues on your HP Desktop. Don't worry we'll work together to help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any changes on the PC before the issue started?

Have you tried to update the Bios?

Have you tried to run any test on the computer?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the PC

Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

1. If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.

If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.

2. With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

3. With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

4. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

Let's update the Bios, Chipset and Wireless card drivers on your PC from our HP support website, using this link.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant. 

Once done, restart the computer. 

Alternatively, you can go through the support document - HP PCs - Slow Internet Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 😎

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to run an extensive system test on the computer from F2(Please capture the failure ID for further assistance).

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have not made any changes on the PC since the issue started other than installing Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom. I just ran a BIOS update the other day as I am also dealing with the fan sounding quite loud. It still sounds loud to me but not sure what the correct volume on it would be. I have not tried to run a test on the PC yet.

I will go ahead and go through the steps that you suggested and I will let you know what I discover.

HP Recommended

I went ahead and updated all of the items that you suggested and still after running a speed test wasn't able to get faster than about 500 mbps down but I am still pulling upload speeds of over 800. Also I might need to have my fan looked at as I am not sure what the normal noise level of it would be.

HP Recommended

@OnTheRoadGuy,

It's great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

As I understand you have updated the Bios and still having the issue, more over, I understand you are having issues with the fan making noise.

In this scenario, I would suggest here is to follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Notebook PCs - Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly, PC is Warmer than Normal

Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Capture.JPG

HP Recommended

Would it matter if the laptop is connected to an external monitor as well? As you can see the CPU percentage is low but part of my problem is that I don't know what the normal sound should be so the fan might be fan but I have nothing to compare it to. Do you have any authorized service centers in the Phoenix area that I could take it to and have it looked at? Thanks.

HP Recommended

@OnTheRoadGuy

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm writing on behalf of my colleague @Jeet_singh, as the tech is out for the day,

that said, I have reviewed your concern and the entire conversation, did some research and here's what I recommend:

Follow the steps mentioned in the link shared by the previous tech: Click here to verify, also, you could try removing the external monitor, however, that shouldn't make any difference to the way the internet or the fan works, That said, If the steps haven't helped you in any way, you may want to refer to my private message for further assistance on getting to the service centers in your area:

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, using the blue envelope: 

Click here for more details on how to access the private messages on HP Forums

I hope your day gets better, good luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.