Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion G6
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Laptop came with Wifi but no bluetooth.  Stock network card is an awful Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n wifi adapter.

Acording to the service manual there are three network cards for this model

1.  Atheros AR9285

2.  Broadcom BCM4313 Half Mini PCI-E Card Bluetooth BCM94313HMGB HP 600370-001

3.  Ralink RT5390BC8 WLAN Bluetooth Card HP For DV4 DV6 G5 G6 630705-001

I tried replacing the network card but when I do, it won't boot.  I get the BIOS telling me to replace the card with a HP original Network card.

Need help

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@MRGCAV I must let you know that HP does not recommend upgrades or hardware changes as the device is equipped with parts that perform at its optimal performance by design, that said, the upgradeable parts listed by HP articles are purely for your ease, as the decision to upgrade will be at your own discretion.

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: 

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

And not all cards are tested by HP nor are they approved, those cards may not work with the device, which service manual did you refer to?

could you share the link?

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

We will get to my laptop upgrade later.

What I want to know is why my username on this site has been changed.

It has been since 2004 MRGCAV and is now  User07222020.  I had a lot of problems finding my posts. 

Can you help me correct this ?  I want my original username MRGCAV restored.

It also says I am a Level 1 user. I am no beginner and have written many articles for this site over the decades.

Please help.

HP Recommended

I appreciate the help with my laptop problem.

I have been a user since 2004 so i am not new to the community. The Moderator got over zealous and I have written him. 

I downloaded PFD files / service manual (SM):  HP Pavilion G6-1A75DX Maintenance & Service Guide c02770249

Notebook Model: Pavilion G6 Notebook PC
Product Number: HPG6-LV860UA#ABA
Serial #: [Personal Information Removed]
HP Pavilion g6-1b79dx Notebook PC

Yes, the SM I downloaded is slightly different but its the same motherboard. 

It is an old laptop,  I want it for my son. He needs Bluetooth built in. A USB Bluetooth adapter is not an option. Thus I need to change the LAN Card. Bluetooth LAN WiFi cards were an option when this was new. So the correct card exists. I tried all the cards listed in the SM but they failed to work.   HP seems to have modified the BIOS to detect non HP parts.

I have bought and tried three already without success.

I am asking you if you can find me a compatible Bluetooth LAN WiFi card. Preferably with Bluetooth v5.0 or v6.0.

thank you

MRGCAV

HP Recommended

Your laptop have whitelist. U can't change wifi card. 

Solution -

1.Use USB Bluetooth adapter

2.Use  USB wifi adapters

3.change bios with modded one( becareful -take current bios backup ) then replace wifi card

HP Recommended

If I knew where to get a modded BIOS I would give it a try.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.