Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 2 (82 Views)

upgrade wifi card with three wires?

Product Name: Pavilion dv 9750us
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Pavilion dv 9750us notebook computer.

I've updated my 'elderly' notebook computer to windows 10 (64-bit). However, the dual-band wifi card is no longer supported so I can't get the drivers to work; I get frequent BSODs and restarts plus I loose internet (but not network connectivity) on this computer only. The other six networked devices NEVER loose internet.

I have searched forums (fora?) for solutions, and have tried work-arounds and changed settings to no avail.

I would like to upgrade the original a/b/g mini pci card to a nice new sexy dual-band ac one. The existing card (intel 4965) is held in with two screws (it's the longer card format, not the shorter one) and has THREE wires connected; the online photos of the new cards aren't showing the antenna wire connectors well enough for me to be sure they have three connectors. Could someone please recommend one or more suitable cards?  I would prefer to replace the card rather than use a USB adapter, since my older computer only has USB 1.0 and would bottleneck data transfer.

Other than this one problem, my computer still moves along at a VERY good pace and is super dependable!

Many thanks! Robot Embarassed

Highlighted
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 2 (48 Views)

Re: upgrade wifi card with three wires?

[ Edited ]

Hi @greytgirl,

Allow me to welcome you to the HP community.  A very good day to you. Smiley Happy I understand that you require assistance regarding upgrading to a dual band Wi-Fi card. It will be a delight to assist you. Smiley Happy

Superb description and very smart diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. Smiley Happy  .  You are a valued HP customer and it is a privilege to share this platform with you. Smiley Happy

This being an old computer, it is possible that the modern wifi cards do not support this computer’s slot.

I will include the service manual link that gives a list of supported Wifi cards for this computer: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01951704 Please look up pages 6 and 7 for the supported list of cards. These are the white list of tested wifi cards for your computer that will definitely work.

HP does not recommend upgrades of either the hardware or software that originally came with the computer as it is designed for optimal use.

However, as you are technically very sound and inclined, you could contact a local Best Buy, Staples or any other technician to find a card that is compatible with this machine that supports dual band and 5Ghz to ensure that it is a smooth sail and the upgrade works if you could find one that supports this computer. It is a big ask.

Please check this link related to dual band cards: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Upgrade-wifi-card-for-HP-Pavilion-17-e...

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Smiley Happy  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation