Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Message 1 of 12 (9,128 Views)

13z-a000 X (X360 13z Touch) SSD upgrade help.

I just purchased an HP Pavilion X360 13Z Touch convertible or whatever.  

After setup I find it extremely slow and I have a spare 240GB SSD (PNY Optima) and want to install it, but there is no easy HDD access window like previous HP laptops.  

I would like to know where the document for HDD replacement.  I go to my products home page and it lists nothing at all about manuals.  The previous laptops have always had good documentation on completely disaasmbling my laptop with easy steps on replacing components.

I'm not worried about voiding my warranty.  I just want my laptop to perform better.

Thanks for any help

-=Mark=-

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 12 (9,127 Views)

Re: 13z-a000 X (X360 13z Touch) SSD upgrade help.

I highly recommend that you migrate the OS to the SSD before doing an R&R on the hard disk.

Since you stated that you don't mind violating the warranty that means you assume all of the risks involved. 

See page 39-41 in the Maintenence & Service Guide for your Convertible PC  for instructions on removing the hard disk. I made a sticky in the Notebook Upgrade section on SSD hard disks with my installation recommendations.

You can show appreciation or say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs up + in the purple box next to the Reply button .

If your problem is solved or question answered, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

I am a volunteer, not an HP Employee.
Intern
Message 3 of 12 (9,112 Views)

Thanks for the link.  Just what I needed.

I plan on installing a freash install of my MS Win8.1 disk to bypass bloatware to keep my speeds up.   But I see no windows certificate of authenticity?  How do I find the product key for reinstallation?

Thank you for your help

-=Mark=-

Provost
Message 4 of 12 (9,109 Views)

The product key is embedded in the BIOS. If you install from a Microsoft Windows 8.1 disk or usb drive and the laptop was originally delivered with 8.1 the Key code will be read from the BIOS and the first time the computer is connected to the internet it will activate. 

Intern
Message 5 of 12 (9,096 Views)

Okay, I installed the SSD, but it won't post.  I get the caps-lock button flashing slowly on and off.

Also, I just realized that I need the product key before I can install Win 8.1

Is there a way to extract the product key out of the BIOS?

Thanks again for your help

-=Mark=-

Intern
Message 6 of 12 (9,091 Views)

Bummer, still no success.  I still get the flashing capslock key, as well as the cpu spinning, power lights on the button and psu port and the hdd spinning.  No hdd light.  The screen is still blank at all times and no BIOS.  The bottom of the screen flashes a white light when I have to hold down the power button to get it to shut off.

I even tried to reinstall the HDD to see if it was the issue with no changes.

I'm really baffled what went wrong.  It almost acts like a frozen BIOS, but I can find the clear cmos jumper to reset it.

Provost
Message 7 of 12 (9,084 Views)

Try a hard reset as follows:

1) Remove the battery and unplug the DC power adapter.
2) Press and hold the power button for more than fifteen seconds.
3) Plug in the DC power adapter (leave the battery out for now)
4) Press the power button

Please post your positive or negative results here in your thread.

You can show appreciation or say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs up + in the purple box next to the Reply button .

If your problem is solved or question answered, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

Intern
Message 8 of 12 (9,078 Views)

First, last night I disconnected the battery connector from the MB and unpluged external power and let it sit over night.  I plug in external power only and same results.

I even plugged in my external HDMI monitor and it wouldn't even trigger the monitor to power on, let alone display anything.

I then tried your 4 steps (except I just disconnected the battery from the motherboard, but didn't remove it), and still the same results.

All I get is power connector light, power button light, capslock blinking, cpu fan spinning, and hdd spinning.  oh and the laptop screen emits a flash of light at the bottom of the screen when I hold the power button down for 5-seconds to force shut down.

Top Student
Message 9 of 12 (8,983 Views)

Hi,

I have the same 13 inch HP Pavilion x360 that the other person you were helping had.  Mine came with 8 GB RAM and a 1TB hard drive.

I sit and use it, and hear the hard drive spinning away all the time.  I have noticed it isn't very fast -- in fact, the machine it replaced was XP with 4GB RAM and 240 GB SSD and it was much faster.

You mentioned migrating the OS to the new disk.  I was thinking of using something like Acronis to copy this machine's HDD to the SSD, and then just swapping them out.

This machine in almost brand new - so I don't feel the need to format and re-install from scratch on the SSD.  If the BIOS contains the Win8.1 key, would I just be able to clone the drive and swap it out?

Thanks in advance.

Provost
Message 10 of 12 (8,978 Views)

[ Edited ]

tdennehy wrote:

Hi,

I have the same 13 inch HP Pavilion x360 that the other person you were helping had.  Mine came with 8 GB RAM and a 1TB hard drive.

I sit and use it, and hear the hard drive spinning away all the time.  I have noticed it isn't very fast -- in fact, the machine it replaced was XP with 4GB RAM and 240 GB SSD and it was much faster.

You mentioned migrating the OS to the new disk.  I was thinking of using something like Acronis to copy this machine's HDD to the SSD, and then just swapping them out.

This machine in almost brand new - so I don't feel the need to format and re-install from scratch on the SSD.  If the BIOS contains the Win8.1 key, would I just be able to clone the drive and swap it out?

Thanks in advance.

Cloning it to the new SSD would definitely be the best route.  The operating system will activate as soon as it has an internet connection due to the license key in the BIOS. I don't have much experience using the Acronis utility. I have had my best results with Paragon's drive copy and the Acorn cloning utilty that came with the second SSD migration kit I purchased. Consider purchasing your SSD as a migration kit as it is the simplest solution. They are delivered with cloning software and usb to sata connectors. 

Paragon Software does give me reviewer copies of their latest software at no cost.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation