cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
dridg1 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

15-ac197nr

15-ac197nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I just purchased a new 15-ac197nr. I have several questions...

1) I am unable to find in the documentation and webpage what the maximum amount of RAM I can install and how many modules are needed. Where can I find that or could someone share that info with me?

2) Is there a replacement battery for this laptop that has a higher capacity/longer run time than the one that came with it? I have adjusted as many settings as I can (screen dimming, processor speed, etc) to get the battery life up to 3hrs.

3) Has anyone upgraded the HDD to a solid state drive? Is it worth upgrading or is it better to upgrade to a 7200rpm drive?

Thank you for your time!

David

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
19,424 17,341 1,610 3,796
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

15-ac197nr

dridg1

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

The information you want about the max memory is on page 2 of the linked Maintenance and Service Guidehttp://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04653884

Battery information is in the same document.

I've replaced HDDs with SDDs in several laptops.  The tricky part is migrating the OS and boot partions from the HDD to the SDD so it will boot.  It's easiest if the SDD is the same capacity as the HDD; otherwise, you have to boot from USB or DVD partitioning tool and mess around with resizing the partitions to get them to fit on the SSD.

A good product for doing the migration is Macrium Reflect. 

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Connect the new drive to the PC using a USB drive adapter
3) Run MR and choose the option: "Backup --> Image Selected Disks" to clone the current drive onto the new drive.
4) Shutdown the PC when done
5) Swap the drives and reboot the PC.

You should boot from the new drive without any problems.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
dridg1 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

15-ac197nr

Thank you for your suggestions!

David

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation