cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
chuck50
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

15-r110dx Install SSD in laptop

HP Recommended
15-r110dx

cloned HDD to SSD as usual but after SSD install, error msg 'hardware not detected' etc-my understanding is that HP laptops w/ 8.1 installed, license act. key is stored in BIOS. I want to do a clone, but I will do a new install if necessary....I tried that, but I couldn't get the laptop to boot from the optical drive......

................Ideas?

Thanks-Chuck

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Chimney_83
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 488 954
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @chuck50

Thanks for your post, I see you have cloned your HDD on an SSD and it is not getting detected in BIOS. I would like to provide my suggestion. 

Disclaimer: HP does not recommend you to change the configuration of the computer, you can do so at your own risk.

Recommend you to keep tapping F9 on startup to get a prompt to select the boot device. 

If HDD is not getting detected. 

Boot to BIOS and disable Secure boot on the security tab and enable legacy boot and try. 

Make sure the SSD is seated correctly and is compatible with your computer. 

If the SSD still does not get detected, recommend you to check with the SSD manufacturer for assistance. 

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
chuck50
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hello Chimney, I will try these suggestions this evening.

Thanks Chuck

0 Kudos
Chimney_83
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 488 954
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply, if the cloned SSD is still not getting detected. Try to format it or try to use the recovery kit to try a fresh install of Windows. 

Anyway, even for the fresh install of Windows, the SSD needs to be detected first. 

Keep me posted,
If the information I've provided was helpful,
Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,
That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
chuck50
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Chimney, I tried a few things with the following results

In boot manager I have 3 options

1) OS Boot Manager (UEFI) - Windows Boot Manager (PNY CS1311 240GB SSD)

2) Boot from EFI File

3) Notebook Hard Drive PNY CS1311 PNY CS1311 240GB SSD

I set legacy 'enabled', secure boot 'disabled'  and f10'ed save changes AND

1. a) When I set to setting #1 in Boot MNGR I get blue screen "Recovery OS can't be loaded-missing or corrupted file...etc
  2. b) Setting #2 (EFI) I get NO VOLUME LABEL [Acpi(pnp0A03, 0)/Pci(1FI2)/Sata90, 0, 0,)/HD(part4, SigBEBE6F98-6535-472E-B240-9DE41795 A413)]
  3. c) Setting #3 (Notebook HDD) I get a prompt srceen 'No Bootable Device--insert boot disc and press....ect

still no boot???

Thanks again-Chuck

0 Kudos
Chimney_83
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 488 954
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply,

Since the suggested options did not work, recommend you to do a clean install of the operating system on the computer using the original configuration. 

Disclaimer: HP does not recommend you to change the configuration of the computer, you can do so at your own risk.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
chuck50
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Chimney, I will try a OS install tonight.

Thanks again for your help-Chuck

0 Kudos
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,301 2,085
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@chuck50, thanks for the response.

Please take your time and get back with results.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation