cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
RKBAMAN
Level 4
104 73 1 2
Message 1 of 35
Flag Post

Solved!

15T Recovery Manager FAIL

HP Recommended

I am trying to use the HP Recovery Manager to do a Minimal Restore of the drive to purge unwanted trial software.  It is now a full day beginning at 10AM EST until just now, and the utility has failed multiple times (both with and without drive security disabled in the BIOS) with an error stating that I should contact HP Taiwan CTO to resolve the problem.

REALLY?

These instructions are useless.  The reason they're useless is because the minimal install option is only presented when booting from external (USB) media.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03489643

At this point, the only option presented to me in the recovery manager from the USB media is a full restore requiring a complete drive repartition, a 5-some-odd hour process I performed earlier today thinking that I had selected the 'minimal restore' only to realize that the stated function does not work.

Suffice to say I'm just a tad put off.  Please respond promptly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RKBAMAN
Author
Level 4
104 73 1 2
Message 31 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm more convinced than ever that the problem is with the coding of the recovery media which doesn't support drives of a size that are not part of this unit's configuration.  Though you didn't acknowledge it at first, my viewpoint seems to be confirmed by your evolving response that changed from: "No, I don't believe the issue is with the size or brand of the new drive..."  to "I checked on the Disk 256 option earlier. Those values are set in the folders and throughout the rest of the coding for the recovery. Changing it would have a negative ripple effect."

With the growing popularity of SSDs and their higher cost, I'm sure that I won't be the only user who has this need.  It'd be great if you could get one of your tech guys to write a 'patch' of some sort in the form of an .exe which amends the recovery media code to support a smaller drive of the sizes typically found.  Most users aren't prepared to spend as much (or even half as much) on a drive as they did on the machine.

That said, I used the ISO/Rufus method to install the OS to my 256SSD drive and cloned over my Minimal Recovery partitions (except the recovery partition) from the 1TB to the SSD using Macrium which resizes on-the-fly.  Unfortunately the recovery option isn't working (because of the issue we've been discussing) so I have to rely on external media, but that's not the end of the world, since I have the USB media.

Thanks for your help.  Please pass along this information to your dev and support team so that the next guy with this situation doesn't chase his tail thinking the recovery media will work.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
34 REPLIES 34
AxshunJaxun
Level 9
2,594 2,628 114 529
Message 2 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey RKBAMAN, 

I'm very sorry you're running into this issue with the minimal restore. I'm going to forward your issue to the correct department. You will hear from someone via private message. You can check your messages by logging into the forum. Look at the top right corner next to your name and click on the blue envelope to view and respond to messages.

I apologize the minimal restore isn't working as it should. In the meantime, (I'm not sure if you'll still have the capability since the computer is between formats here) but you may consider doing a Windows 8 Reset (30-45 min) to get Windows 8 back on the machine. Then you can uninstall any trial-ware you would like. 

To perform the Reset:

1. Shutdown/Power down

2. Press and hold the ESC key down, THEN press the power button to turn the computer on. Keep holding ESC until you see "Choose an Option". 

3. Choose Troubleshoot

4. Choose Reset. Reset has 2 options: 'Just Remove My Files' or Fully Clean the Drive'. 

'Just Remove My Files' is sufficient for your purposes. It only takes about 30-45 minutes.

'Fully Clean the Drive' sets all of the bits on the drive back to 0s, so it takes a very long time (around 5-6 hours or longer depending on how full the drive was).

Once the Reset is complete, you'll have to go through Windows Setup again. NOTE: the trial-ware may be back on the computer, but you'll at least have a working operating system and you can uninstall any programs you would like from Programs and Features (Windows key + X). 

I hope this information helps. If the Reset doesn't work, wait for contact via private message. That department may have alternative options for you.

0 Kudos
AxshunJaxun
Level 9
2,594 2,628 114 529
Message 3 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Any luck with those suggestions?

0 Kudos
RKBAMAN
Author
Level 4
104 73 1 2
Message 4 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Replacement drive and media on my doorstep when I arrived home today.

Successfully restored system with new drive using minimal recovery, BUT...

Now I want to install a 256GB Samsung 840Pro SSD to the system and use the recovery media, but during what seems the final stages of the software install (drivers and attendant control panels, if I'm not mistaken) the install fails with an error file that says, to summarize:

Detect some error duing PININST_BBV

Critical error was detected at BBV1

Switch to 2nd Cap's WinPE and see [recovery manager]'s incomplete dm log

There might be unexpected reboot during BBV Clean or Last.  The process will cause CTO panic because the image might not be normal

Would I be mistaken to think this is because the recovery media is expecting drives of a certain size (i.e. 320GB, 500GB, 1TB) and when it sees a 256GB it freaks out?

Thanks in advance for your input.

0 Kudos
AxshunJaxun
Level 9
2,594 2,628 114 529
Message 5 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did some quick research on that error and found this thread. It's a small internet 🙂

"Detect some error during PININST_BBV."

DarkSetz from that thread, had the same error. Pepe999 advised him to set the BIOS to default settings and the install completed successfully.

To set your BIOS to default settings:

1. Shutdown

2. Press the Power button and immediately start tapping F10 to go into the BIOS

3. Once you're in BIOS, press the F9 key to set to defaults. You won't see a message or any feedback, just press F9 once.

4. Press F10 to Save and Exit. Yes to confirm.  

Then try the installation again. Let me know the results when you get a chance 🙂

0 Kudos
RKBAMAN
Author
Level 4
104 73 1 2
Message 6 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Tried that from the get-go, but gave it another shot just in case.  No good.

NOTE:  I'm using a USB recovery created from the HP utility having previously installed the 1TB drive.  I am NOT using the HP OEM recovery USB drive, your part number 733051-004.  It was my hope that I could jump directly to a Minimal Recovery rather than a two-stage install of all the trialware and then a second recovery to purge the trial bloatware.

ALSO: I'm installing on a 256GB drive.  Is that a problem?  Do I need a 500 or larger?

Looking forward to your reply.

0 Kudos
AxshunJaxun
Level 9
2,594 2,628 114 529
Message 7 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No, I don't believe the issue is with the size or brand of the new drive. Although, you may also try another common suggested fix for an issue when trying to install from Recovery media (whether it be disc or USB form). The suggestion is on the second page, my post, message 18 of 23.

Cyberlink Recovery Disc Utility

Cyberlink (in conjunction with HP) created the Recovery partition software. Cyberlink firmware may need to be installed onto new hard drives (whether from HP or 3rd parties) in order for Recovery partition media  (whether disc or USB) to work properly.

I haven't suggested this earlier, because on older machines the issue usually presented itself as a STOP error 0xe0ef000e. It could be that it presents itself differently on Windows 8 units. 

I understand you're trying to avoid a two-stage install to be more efficient. (I would prefer to do the same myself.) This suggestion almost defeats the purpose, but should take less time than a two-stage install would. 

0 Kudos
RKBAMAN
Author
Level 4
104 73 1 2
Message 8 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No go.  Burned the disk, removed the USB media, used the external drive for my Envy but it's not being recognized as a boot device.

0 Kudos
RKBAMAN
Author
Level 4
104 73 1 2
Message 9 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BTW, this is Windows 8 that I'm trying to install.  The Cyberlink utility looks to be for XP/VISTA/7.  And yes, I did hit F9 to reset BIOS to defaults.

0 Kudos
AxshunJaxun
Level 9
2,594 2,628 114 529
Message 10 of 35
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I really appreciate your willingness to troubleshoot and try these suggestions. Yes, I know you're working with Windows 8 and the Cyberlink Utility's download page says it is for Windows 7 and earlier versions. Cyberlink has been producing the Recovery partition and media for several years. I was hopeful that the firmware would still be the same since it is such a low-level application. I don't want to lead you on any type of "wild goose chase" or anything, though. I just want to help you get to a working Windows 8 state again, minus the trial/bloatware. 

In the interest of saving you time, my next suggestion would be to download and put a clean Windows 8 64-Bit ISO (retail, non-HP-OEM) onto a USB flash drive. That ISO won't include any of the trial/bloatware, that we're trying to avoid. The only drawback is it also won't include any of the HP drivers or software. You'll have to download those from your Driver Page. 

If I could get your product number, I'll link you directly to your particular model's driver page. You can find the product number on an HP label on the bottom of the computer. 

Windows 8 64-Bit ISO link

Rufus- Program that makes USB flash drives bootable. It does mention Windows 7 on that site, but the program isn't just for Windows 7. It can be used with any ISO (Linux, Mac OS, all versions of Windows, etc.).

SIDE NOTE: I found this link a few minutes ago in my research, which confirms that it seems to be an issue with the media. He had a refurbished computer, upgraded the hard drive and ran into an issue using the HP Recovery media. The user mentions resolving it by using cloning software to clone the drive and it installed without issue. 

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation