cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Intern
66 25 1 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

2 recovery partitions

Pavilion 15 series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My notebook has 2 recovery partitions, one 930MB and one 25.43GB, both labeled as recovery partition. Why are there 2?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Provost
Provost
52,748 49,455 9,892 16,584
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

2 recovery partitions

Hi,

The small partition is created by the OS and provides access to Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE).

The much larger partition is added by HP and contains all the files etc required to reinstall the entire operating system should the need arise - the Recovery Media Creation tool also accesses these files to create your bootable recovery media.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
10,650 9,432 1,669 4,690
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

2 recovery partitions

Without seeing the partitions and information about them, I could only guess that one is a Microsoft Windows specific recovery partition and the other is the HP Recovery partition. The HP Recovery partition contains an image of the original factory install, as well as means to reinstall software and drivers that come from the factory. Additionally, the HP partition is used to create your HP Recovery Media and can be boot to when Windows isn't starting and you wish to return the computer to a factory like state.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Intern
Intern
66 25 1 1
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

2 recovery partitions

Thanks for your reply. I used Recovery from the W10 Control Panel to create a recovery drive on a USB stick. I read elsewhere that I would have the opportunity to delete the recovery partition on my desktop during that process , but that prompt never came up. Is there a way to remove the recovery partition? It would be a recovery to W7, which I don't want. I would use the recovery drive on the USB stick.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation