Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV7T-7000 Quad Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is a 17" laptop with two 2.5" hard drive bays (interfaces labelled 0 and 1). The laptop came with a 32 GB mSATA drive for acceleration cache (Intel Rapid Storage and Rapid Start Technology) and a 1 TB 2.5" mechanical hard drive installed in bay 0. I recently installed a 256 GB SSD upgrade in to bay 0 and moved the 1 TB mechanical HDD to bay 1. For some reason, the 1 TB mechanical hard drive in bay 1 is not found by the BIOS. I went ahead and installed Windows on the 256 GB SSD since it was identified in BIOS. When I run HWINFO, is shows the 256 SSD at interface 0 and the mSATA drive at interface 1. Is it possible that I will have the remove the mSATA device because it shares the SATA controller interface with HDD bay 1? Will I have to do this in order for my 1TB drive to be found?

Before I installed the 256 GB SSD, I went in to the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software and disabled acceleration, and made the 32 GB mSATA drive available to be used as an ordinary drive in Windows. I was hoping to keep all of this and re-enable acceleration on the 1 TB HDD in bay 1 after reinstalling Windows.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

>  I ... installed Windows on the 256 GB SSD since it was identified in BIOS.

> I was hoping to ... re-enable acceleration on the 1 TB HDD in bay 1 after reinstalling Windows.

Since "bay zero" is a SSD running Windows, is there any need for "acceleration" to be used, since the SSD and the mSATA devices are (roughly) the same speed?

HP Recommended

There is no need to accelerate the 256 GB SSD (it's actually faster than the mSATA device). In fact, the Rapid Storage Technology software will not even let me target the 256 GB SSD for acceleration. I would still like to accelerate my 1 TB mechanical drive in bay 1 to achieve hybrid-like drive performance though.  I think I will remove the mSATA device to see if the 1 TB HDD becomes found.

HP Recommended

Windows 7 (and presumably 8 and 10) already does some "caching" ....

Capture.JPG

Plus, your CPU has "Level 1" and "Level 2" caching.

Plus, a "spinning" disk-drive has its own cache.

So, how much "caching" do you really need?  :Wink:

HP Recommended

I know what you're saying, but I did pay extra for the Intel Rapid Storage acceleration cache so I'd like to be able to use it with the second hard drive.  It's like tuning up a hot rod just to get that extra 1 or 2 horsepower.  I plan to remove the mSATA drive this weekend.  I'll post my findings back here when I do.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.