cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
wingslevel
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

303 305 hard drive error

My HP Pavilion g7 1019wm started running slower and slower resulting in poor performance. It became so bad that I felt the only remedy was format and reinstall. After four failed attempts I am now accepting that the hard drive is failing learning more about 303 and 305 hard drive errors. when the new hard drive is installed and checked will the recovery disks (3)  that came with my notebook  load Windows7 plus all the software that came from HP? Unfortunately the HP warranty expired two weeks ago and understand that's my fault not HP's. This notebook is only a few months old and lightly used for only personal use. I am hoping someone can offer some positive advise.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,896 16,670
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

303 305 hard drive error

Hi,

Your Recovery Discs will reinstall the operating system and nearly all of the software that originally came bundled with your notebook - the most notable exception is Microsoft Office Starter.  They will also re-create the Recovery Partition on the new drive.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

wingslevel
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

303 305 hard drive error

David, you are a movie! The other day after chasing this issue for some time wrote HP support and it was you who helped me then. All kidding aside you are a valued member of your team! My warranty just lapsed and was concidering purchasing the replasement else where. I have my own windows Office 2007 Pro so that is easily taken care of. Too, I can partition the replacement HD myself. My concerns David are not having the Windows7 OS. If my recovery disk contains the OS with the OEM numbers I am sure the drivers for the software that came with this notebook from the factory will fire it up like new. Any help is welcomed and needed. Thank you does not seem enough, but thank you David.
Jimmy H.
0 Kudos
Level 18
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

303 305 hard drive error

Hi again Jimmy,

You're welcome Smiley Happy

The drive on the link below is an example of one that would be fine for your notebook.

500Gb Hard Drive

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 51 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Once done, simply use your Recovery DVDs to reinstall the Operating System on the new drive.  There is no need to format the new Hard Drive beforehand as all this will be taken care of by the Recovery process.  This process will reinstall the operating system and all necessary drivers - essentially, the notebook will be in the same state as when you purchased it,  Also, the operating system will automatically activate.

When you have installed the new drive, tap away at the esc key as soon as you press the power button to launch the Startup menu.  Choose the Boot Menu option ( this is often f9 ) Insert your 1st Recovery DVD and close the drive.  Use the arrow keys to select the CD/DVD drive and hit enter.  This will start the Recovery Process and you can find more information regarding this on the link below.

System Recovery - Windows 7.

As you will be reinstalling on a brand new drive, the option to choose is Factory Reset.

Best regards,

David

Windows Insider MVP

wingslevel
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

303 305 hard drive error

David, you are an asset for your employer and a great asset for users like me. Finished a marketing survey form HP earlier this day. In summery the technical support member was (I feel) better at sales than technical support seemingly  lacking or not having a working knowledge base of the products this agent was given. Had it not been your smooth and deep instant recall ability for the products you represent. It will keep me looking at HP for my computers and needs. Keep it up sport!

Jimmy H.

0 Kudos
Level 18
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

303 305 hard drive error

Hi Jimmy,

Thank you :generic:

I should point out though that I don't work for HP, I'm just a private contributor to this forum.

Best Regards,

David

Windows Insider MVP

wingslevel
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

303 305 hard drive error

David , you are just to sharp and a breath of fresh air. I will make the repairs when the HD arrives. Know this, I have been around this plant a few times for various causes, now retired seems that I have to much time on my hands. I bring this to your attention because of my many experiences you stand out as someone as someone special and it has been my pleasure and HP;s good fortune to have crossed paths. Peace.

Jimmy H.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation