Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
RoxieCottontail Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 1
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

601 Error - Internal Battery Issue

HP ENVY dv7
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi there, 

I've been trying to find the solution on my own but I'm just out of my depth here. 

When I turn on my laptop I get a black screen that tells me there is a 601 error with my internal battery. I'd like to purchase another battery and replace it because I need my laptop working perfectly for the bar exam in July 2016. Is this something I can do myself or should I take it to a shop?

I think this is the battery I need: 6 cell 62WHr 2.8 Ah lithium-ion battery

Can someone confirm that?

Also, I'm not sure what the internal batter is. There's a battery that I can eject from the bottom of my laptop. The Regulatory Model Number is HSTNN-LB3N and it's a rechargeable Li-ion battery. It also says to change with HP spare 671731-01. Is this a different battery than the 6 cell one I mention above? 

I'd greatly appreciate the help! Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES
Tutor Laksh1 Tutor
Tutor
12 1 4
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi RoxieCottontail,

Internal battery error 601 refers to:

The measured storage capacity of the primary (internal) battery is less than 25% of the original storage capacity. The number “601” denotes the associated error code that is recorded in the system log.

NOTE: This is NOT the error to indicate to CMOS battery failure.

Yes, if the unit is under warranty please contact HP technical support and get a replacement battery and you can replace the battery yourself.

Please use the following link to contact HP Support through phone, chat or email support incident logging medium:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.​html

I have gone ahead and sent you an email with image and video instructions to remove and replace the battery.

Following are the part numbers for this unit with 9-cell and 6-cell batteries.

You can get the appropriate one with which the unit went with:

9-cell, 100-Wh, 3.0-Ah, Li-ion battery - Part no: 672412-001
6-cell, 62-Wh, 2.8-Ah, Li-ion battery  - Part no: 671731-001

And yes, all the very best for your exams :)

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.******

Regards,

Laksh

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.
0 Kudos
RoxieCottontail Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 1
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you so much!!! I feel way less lost! 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation