cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 1 0 1
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

601 Error - Internal Battery Issue

HP Recommended
HP ENVY dv7
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi there, 

I've been trying to find the solution on my own but I'm just out of my depth here. 

When I turn on my laptop I get a black screen that tells me there is a 601 error with my internal battery. I'd like to purchase another battery and replace it because I need my laptop working perfectly for the bar exam in July 2016. Is this something I can do myself or should I take it to a shop?

I think this is the battery I need: 6 cell 62WHr 2.8 Ah lithium-ion battery

Can someone confirm that?

Also, I'm not sure what the internal batter is. There's a battery that I can eject from the bottom of my laptop. The Regulatory Model Number is HSTNN-LB3N and it's a rechargeable Li-ion battery. It also says to change with HP spare 671731-01. Is this a different battery than the 6 cell one I mention above? 

I'd greatly appreciate the help! Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 2
Level 2
12 12 1 4
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi RoxieCottontail,

Internal battery error 601 refers to:

The measured storage capacity of the primary (internal) battery is less than 25% of the original storage capacity. The number “601” denotes the associated error code that is recorded in the system log.

NOTE: This is NOT the error to indicate to CMOS battery failure.

Yes, if the unit is under warranty please contact HP technical support and get a replacement battery and you can replace the battery yourself.

Please use the following link to contact HP Support through phone, chat or email support incident logging medium:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.​html

I have gone ahead and sent you an email with image and video instructions to remove and replace the battery.

Following are the part numbers for this unit with 9-cell and 6-cell batteries.

You can get the appropriate one with which the unit went with:

9-cell, 100-Wh, 3.0-Ah, Li-ion battery - Part no: 672412-001
6-cell, 62-Wh, 2.8-Ah, Li-ion battery  - Part no: 671731-001

And yes, all the very best for your exams 🙂

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.******

Regards,

Laksh

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 1
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you so much!!! I feel way less lost! 

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation