cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Bob6735 Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

6735s AC adapter and/or battery problems?

Hi all.

I have an 11 month old HP Compaq 6735s laptop which has up until now been a very reliable machine.  It came with Vista but was upgraded to Win7 when it was released.

Approximately 2 weeks ago I started getting the message when on AC power that the "smart AC adapter is not providing enough power" (something like that anyway!) And even though plugged in would switch to battery power only.  Restarting the laptop always "fixed" this.

Then about a week ago the laptop refused to work on AC power at all, only the battery.  Of course the battery soon became totally discharged so I removed it, and found that the laptop works fine on AC power with the battery removed.  I have tried another identical HP AC adapter to mine and the laptop behaves in the same way.  So I'm kind of discounting the AC adapter.  The guy at the computer store where I borrowed the AC adpter to test it claimed it was the power port on the laptop that was the culprit, but I doubt this as of course the thing runs just fine on AC without the battery...

Strangely though the thing will run fine on AC power with the battery installed if you first remove the battery, then insert the battery once Windows is running, charging the battery also - that is until the message about the smart AC adapter not being powerful enough pops up (usually after an hour or two of use).  I've run the battery test and it gets a clean bill of health.  So I'm at a loss really.  I don't like running the laptop without the battery in (don't know why, as I know it won't hurt it!)

There is just a month left on the "warranty" so I'm thinking perhaps the phone calls need to start, but I thought I'd ask on here in case theres a known fix for this that I can do myself (though much Googling hasn't revealed anything) as I don't like the thought of being computer-less for a while as this is the only PC I have.

Thanks in advance to anyone who could shed a light on this strange problem

Regards, Bob

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
sujitsakre Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi bob,

Were you able to resolve this problem? I have same issue with my HP compaq 6715b laptop.

Sujit

0 Kudos
sujitsakre Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My problem was solved by adjusting the way power cord is put in power port. I think it was pulled down earlier more than once. To fix this, I inserted cord, pulled it up so it remains inserted at opposite angle.

0 Kudos
Pat0244 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem and glad to know about removing the battery. I took my computer in to Staples where it was purchased, and the tech there told me that the pin in the power port that connects the computer to the electrical source was not centered exactly in the port. He used a small tool and adjusted the pin so it was centered. The fix worked for a short time , but now I am back to where I was.  I assume the pin in off-center again.

The Staples tech's  "fix"  is similar to changing the insertion angle of the power port as suggested by another responder.

I'm going to take my comuter in to see if there can be a permanent fix applied. It's annoying to be in the middle of something when the battery dies. Work has to come to a stop until the battery recharges.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation