cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP6930P
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

6930p New Hard Disk - OS Installation

HP Recommended
6930P
Microsoft Windows XP

Hi 

I had bought an old HP 6930P Laptop that was working fine.

The hard disk started crashing and I just bought a new Hard Disk for it.

At the time of OS Installation it keeps on giving me blue screen of death. 

Unfortunately i do not have HP OS disk and I am trying to load from a Dell XP Disk that came along with my Dell Laptop.

Is there any way of loading OS on it? 

I tried to run diagnostics on Hard disk and it shows me that the hard disk does not have any issues. 

thanks. 

Loki. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
137,743 92,405 21,248 28,535
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

You have to install the sata achi drivers by either slipstreaming them or by using a USB floppy drive to install the specific sata achi driver you need for the 6930p.

Please read this guide for how to slipstream the drivers.  Read the Intel section and then read the downloadable document on how to slipstream all of the drivers.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/SATA-drivers-for-XP-solution-on...

I have zipped up and attached the drivers you need to slipstream below.

If you prefer to install the driver at the F6 prompt you get at the beginning of the XP install script via a USB FDD, then you need to use the up/down arrow keys to scroll to and select the Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller from the list.

If you live in the USA/Canada, you can call this number to order a set of recovery disks for the license that the PC originally come with (the COA sticker is on the bottom of the notebook under the clear plastic business card holder).

1-800-334-5144

Have the serial number of the notebook handy to give to the customer services rep.

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
5 REPLIES 5
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

You have to install the sata achi drivers by either slipstreaming them or by using a USB floppy drive to install the specific sata achi driver you need for the 6930p.

Please read this guide for how to slipstream the drivers.  Read the Intel section and then read the downloadable document on how to slipstream all of the drivers.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/SATA-drivers-for-XP-solution-on...

I have zipped up and attached the drivers you need to slipstream below.

If you prefer to install the driver at the F6 prompt you get at the beginning of the XP install script via a USB FDD, then you need to use the up/down arrow keys to scroll to and select the Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller from the list.

If you live in the USA/Canada, you can call this number to order a set of recovery disks for the license that the PC originally come with (the COA sticker is on the bottom of the notebook under the clear plastic business card holder).

1-800-334-5144

Have the serial number of the notebook handy to give to the customer services rep.

View solution in original post

HP6930P
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. 

Do you think its achievable using a USB instead of USB FDD(floppy disk drive) that I dont have. 

Thanks again. 

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

It cannot be done with a USB flash drive. 

I've tried and couldn't do it.  I even renamed the drive letter A:\, thinking I could fool XP into believing it was a usb FDD.

Just slipstream the drivers.  It isn't too hard to do.  I did it, so it can't be too complicated.  :generic:

HP6930P
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks a ton, the solution was exactly what solved the issue. 

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

It wasn't that hard, was it?

Kinda fun to make that disk, IMO--especially when it works!

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation