Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Solved!

8.1 pavilion g7 broken startup / can't recover / no administrator

HP Recommended
Pavillion g7
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Lately, my computer had been continually slowing down to the point where opening a browser crashed the system. Then, after dying for a couple hours, came back, then lost access to its built-in keyboard. Finally, it died again, and now when I turn it on, it displays the blue automatic repair screen. In this menu, I can press the different buttons, but they all either directly restart it, bringing me directly back, or tells me I have no administrator accounts, which I do, all options are useless. (As of this question's posting, I still haven't tried a restart disc/USB.)

I have many theories for how this came about. One of them, is that my computer was overheating consistently, which shut it down often. This may have affected some wires or circuitboards, melting them or otherwise. Also, the keyboard cable may have fallen loose, as I have heard others complain about. Finally, it could be an extremely powerful virus, one that my antivirus (Avast) may not have known. Please help, I am in immense need and worry.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 9
1,373 1,360 112 268
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

First try running the hardware diagnostics on the Hard drive and check. To run the test keep tapping F2 as soon as you turn it on. Here is the link with the instructions:

HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 😎

If all tests on hard drive passes then try backing up your important data and run a complete recovery. Recovery will completely wipe everything and reset the computer to factory settings which should eliminate any type of virus or software issues.

perform recovery

Highlighted
Level 6
Level 6
445 435 24 69
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, 

Thank you for posting your concern on the Support Forums and sorry about the issue you are having. I went through your post and looks like I should be able to help you out with the issue, but it  would require the complete restoration of the unit to its original factory settings that means the data on the computer will be erased and along with it the software that might be installed on it. 

Here is a link also with the screen shots as to how the recovery process would look like (windows 8)-

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03489643?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0001

Or

Please follow the steps below to perform recovery –

• Shut down the unit.
  • To turn it back press the Power button and as soon as you release it, keep tapping the “ESC” key, unless a screen comes up, you might want to wait for a minute while tapping the key.
  • In the startup menu, choose F11 – System Recovery.
  • On the next page of all the options you need to choose – “Troubleshoot”. (If it’s a windows 8 unit or you can skip this step)
  • On the next page you will have to choose “Recovery Manager”. (If it’s a windows 8 unit or you can skip this step)
  • On the next page in the first column , under “I need help immediately” you need to choose “Minimized Image Recovery”
    • Now here you may get an option to back up your files, as there would be an option saying – recover after backing up files, or recover without backing up data.
    • You will have to insert the disk follow the on –screen instructions from here on and unit would be reset to its original state.

Now in case you need any further assistance do write us back or call HP SUPPORT @ 1-800-474-6836 [24/7 SUPPORT].

Although I work for HP but I'm speaking for myself.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Regards

Aks3621

Highlighted
Level 6
Level 6
445 435 24 69
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, 

Is the computer working fine ? Could you tell what happened ? 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Regards

Aks3621

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It turns out that the  computer had a maltfunctioned (or dead [or melted]) hard drive! Thanks a lot for the advice, I'm very greatful.

Currently, I'm looking for a cheap (<$50) replacement part. It's either that or a new laptop! 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
Level 6
445 435 24 69
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey, 

You might want to check with Best Buy. :Wink:

Or you may call HP to check the price of the part, refer to the following link-

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-2000-Notebook-PC-series/5375422/model/5403048/document/c00372...

Or just call the Parts Store Department @ 1-800-227-8164

Regards

Aks3621

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry for going back to this after a while, but what i'm finding now is a conundrum. The computer says that its hard drive passed its SMART check, but failed its DST check. I'm wondering if there's any way to recover the files I had on the drive.

The failure ID is: RUUDAW-6B87LK-MFPX1F-60XF03

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I also did a F11 check (Which voids the administrator error) and was trying a refresh, but it now says that the drive 8.1 is located on is 'Locked'. Is this 'Lock' physical or digital?

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation