cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ITNorth
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

840G3 doesn't detect external USB drive for disk cloning

Elitebook 840 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

We just received  a shipment of Elitebook 840 G3s.  I wanted to clone my current Folio over to the new laptop but was surprised that when I booted into clonezilla from a 4GB USB Kingston Data traveller that it didn't see the source 256 GB USB SSD Drive. 

When I went into the BIOS, it doesn't see the USB Drive, but it does see the thumbdrive and internal SSD.

I have tried USB 2 & 3 devices with different drives attached.  The drive is detected when booted into windows and I can browse it.

Is anyone aware of an issue with the current 1.05 BIOS and eithe drive size etc... recognized by the BIOS for USB?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Level 8
Level 8
913 913 47 100
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If your system came with Windows 10, then the BIOS has, at the least, SecureBoot setting enabled. If this is the case, then you will most likely cause what you are seeing. Clonezilla boot code does not have the Microsoft required security protection that Windows 10 has. You can disable and see if things work better

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Cookie1111
Level 2
15 10 0 3
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a HP 840 G3 with version 1.14 BIOs. I went in a disabled the secure boot but left legacy option enabled. Aslo went into device mgr and uninstalled the USB 3 driver. Restarted computer and usb 3 driver was installed and my 1 TB External Disk now appears in my PC and am able to access it. Spent 2 hours with HP on chat line yesterday to no avail. Thanks for this post.

0 Kudos
Cookie1111
Level 2
15 10 0 3
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have to says that it worked one time and now it is back to not seeing the external USB-3 disk. Very frustrating.

My system is a HP 840 G3. My HP 840 G2 works like a charm.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation