cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
12thetechguy
Level 2
20 15 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

8470p switchable graphics

HP Recommended

Hello, I have an 8470p with dedicated graphics. I've reinstalled windows and the drivers multople times and I've reflashed the BIOS a few times as well, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why the laptop only detects the AMD GPU. It's supposed to be able to switch between both the AMD card and the Intel one, no? Is there any known fix for this?

Thanks

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Tech47
Level 2
28 28 1 2
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
If a unit has dual graphics card, then there would be a setting in BIOS to enable/disable it. You might want to check the BIOS setup. In BIOS, Go to System Configuration -> Device Configuration.
There is a setting for switchable graphics. That should enable and disable the discrete graphics.

If it is already enabled, check if device manager shows both adapters under Display Adapters category.
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
12thetechguy
Author
Level 2
20 15 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the AMD graphics card and there is no option in the BIOS to enable switchable graphics. Windows does not detect the Intel HD graphics, only the AMD.

thegame
Level 3
52 43 0 1
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Make sure your computer came with the switchable graphics feature first.

Download the latest driver and software for both graphics.

In order to successfully get this done right I had uninstall both first, before installing the updated versions. Don't worry, the computer will switch to the VGA mode and be able still have a screen to view.

Now here is the kicker, but one driver and software has prevalence over the other and I forget which (I apologize forgetting which one).  So you might have to do this a second time if the first time fails. So uninstall both software first (Via Control Panel), then install one and then the other, if that don't work, uninstall (both) again and try the reverse order. 

I hope this helps

TubeLugs
Level 2
19 12 0 2
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have dedicated graphics but have no idea whether the machine also has default graphics circuitry. How does one make sure the computer came with the switchable graphics feature? And if it did, how do you switch?

Thanks.

jamos316
Level 2
17 13 1 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hello i have the same problem, did you find a solution?

jamos316
Level 2
17 13 1 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
There is no setting in bios that relates to graphics.

I am presuming that the laptop does have dual graphics as it has a AMD GPU. My processor is Intel i7 and to my knowledge the i7 processors come with in built Intel hd graphics.

At the moment all I can see in device manager under display drivers is the driver for the AMD GPU. I have tried installing the Intel graphics driver showing in the hp drivers page but I immediately see an error message saying that the system doesn't meet the requirements.
jamos316
Level 2
17 13 1 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have an old laptop (Elitebook 2540p), not the fastest but it does the job for what i want it to do.
Now recently I upgraded my OS for windows 8.1 to window 10, I did a fresh install and not an upgrade.

I now have the problem whenever I goto 'Sleep' mode the laptop at first looks it enters sleep mode correctly and turns off the display however the power lights are still on and blinking for a further 30 seconds then the charging light will flash for about 10 seconds and then go off with the power light just pulsating on & off, after about 5 seconds of this it automatically powers back on. It goes through the process of booting up and when it gets to the OS I find that the USB ports are not powered on.

I have installed all drivers.

Do you know whats going on and a solution to this problem?

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation