cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
jmenninkainen Top Student
Top Student
7 7 0 0
Message 11 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

8560P strange keyboard issues (hanging Shift, fn, alt, windows keys.......)

Similar things with 8560w, now for few weeks, like from begging of December 2011.Suddenly ALT, CTRL or SHIFT gets stuck. Pressing the right key again releass it (makes a difference if press again left or right SHIFT or ALT), which slightly makes feeling it could not be a software trouble. Anyhow now tried certainly disabling 'Ease of use' settings of Windows 7. Following up...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Houtsma Tutor
Tutor
19 16 0 1
Message 12 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

For sure this is a windows / drivers / software issue and not a laptop issue. When i have this issue and only with the mouse open an RDP session to another computer the keys work normal. When i close the RDP and return to my local windows session, the problem continues. All the time without pressing that Shift/WIndows/whatever trouble key. Again, since i uninstalled the Power Assistent i haven't been able to reproduce so far (2 weeks now).

jmenninkainen Top Student
Top Student
7 7 0 0
Message 13 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Also I un-installed "HP Power Assistant" (which was installed automatically on Dec 8th 2011, version 2.1.0.6) some days ago after your advice. And I would say now that my trouble on CTRL or SHIFT keys getting stuck has gone away. Hopefully goes on like that, keeping finger crossed. THANKS!!

0 Kudos
aj7_ Top Student
Top Student
5 5 0 0
Message 14 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! (think) I got rid of this annoying problem by updating latest drivers and software including BIOS. I use docking station most of the time so I'm not 100% sure, but anyway have not experienced the issue for a long time when on the native keyboard. Strange thing is that I had to get updates manually from HP EliteBook 8560p Notebook PC - Download Software and Drivers because HP Support Assistant found no updates, wonder why!? PS. there was also an update to Power Assistant (9 Sep 2011).

0 Kudos
G3NS_Pi Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 15 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi All, I had a new HP Elitebook 8760W at the end of December , and have the same issues

- whilst typing, every 20-30 minutes the keyboard will behave like [shift], [ctrl], [alt], [windows], keys are pressed and held.

- random mouse jumping.

I have tried disabling the touchpad (to make sure it is not user error), but have no change of experience

I use Virtual Box and run a virtual Ubuntu PC on a separate display, and typing experience in this "window"/session is unnaffected by the issue - which makes me think this is a software issue, as hinted at by someone elses remote desktop similar experience.

Also other oddities are the keyboard appears slightly unresponsive, in that I can review what I have typed, and found significantly lots of letters and words missing that I had typed - I have touch typed for 20+ years, and worked o numerous keyboards as I am in IT Support, so I doubt it is me 🙂  but this (may) still be user-error on my part.

I have a sound issue, I play back in itunes/windows media player/spotify and get a random buzz intermittently every 30 seconds to af minutes.  I have not found a fix for this yet, but have not tried the disabling hp power service as noted above yet.

I dont want to send my laptop away if this is a software bug, and can live with it, although it does drive me cRaZy ;o)

If I find anything useful that works, I'll re-post here 🐵

0 Kudos
spme Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 16 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi All

Just an update regarding this on-going problem, so far I haven’t found a solution.

2011-12-06: Call HP Logged a Case
2011-12-07: Technician came and replaced Keyboard and Speaker (No Change)
2011-12-08: Technician came and replaced motherboard and solved the issue.

2011-12-21: Issues started again.

2012-01-03: Call HP Logged a Case
2012-01-18: Parts Arrived
2012-01-19: Technician came and replaced both motherboard and CPU. (Problem not solved)
2012-01-20: Only 1 key press per second registered.  Had to remove battery and power up again.

The technician said he will discuss the problem with Level 2 and revert back to me shortly.

Cheers,

spme

0 Kudos
G3NS_Pi Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 17 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just an extra note - with mine, it did seem to take a variety of key presses across different applications (i had to switch through all my open windows..) before I could "unlock" THE FEATURE _ HEY LOOK< ITS ACTUALLY HAPPENED AS I am typing 😉 and it just fixed itself.. that is poetic for you 🙂

I have also had today the mouse stop accepting clicks - that only happened the once tho. 

I will uninstall the HP power assistant now, and report back after a day or so to let you know if it appears to be fixed - it does happen so often, and I use the laptop keyboard so much, I am quite sure I will know in not too long a time 🙂

0 Kudos
Houtsma Tutor
Tutor
19 16 0 1
Message 18 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, let us know. For me it fixed exactly the problems you described (locked keys, sound disturbance, delays and missing characters while typing)..... Unfortunatelly i did send away my first laptop, was in repair for a month! They couldn't find anything!! I got a new one.. Same issue.. So i had sent away the 1st one for nothing. Finally discovered it was Power Assistant that was causing all my troubles. Now i am working for a few months without troubles.

Last week i reinstalled Power Assistant (including latest BIOS), and same problems appeared right away!

Deinstalled and am happy again 😉

Everybody please report back in this thread if removing Power Assistant fixed your problems as well !!!

Thanks, Jan

0 Kudos
L0ST1 Tutor
Tutor
15 12 0 2
Message 19 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just had the same keybaord problem alongside audio distortion as desribed here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-PC-Sound-and-Audio/8460p-sound-distortion-after-BIOS-update/td...

Killing the Power Assistant process HPPA_main.exe solved the issue. 

The issues started after Support Assistant my Power Assistant v2.0.6.0 to v2.1.0.6. 

2.1.0.6 doesn't even show on HP's drivers section for the 8460p:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=at&prodNameId=5056943&...

0 Kudos
aj7_ Top Student
Top Student
5 5 0 0
Message 20 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Replying to myself. I have not been able to reproduce the problem after updating latest drivers and bios BUT as I wondered why it did not help houtsma (sorry for that) I checked out my Power Assistant version and it is 2.0.2.0 so I guess I did not update that then (and this old version for some reason works). I still have plenty of other problems - for example with mobile broadband.... but that is another topic.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation