Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a Presario F756NR that was running Windows 7 64-bit.  I upgraded the BIOS from F.08 to F.0A.  The utility claimed that the uprade was successful.  When I rebooted, the computer wouldn't POST.  Every time I turn it on, the power light and fan come on and I can hear the CD drive doing something.  But the screen stays completely blank and the hard drive light doesn't show any activity.  There are no beep codes or flashing lights anywhere.

Is there a way to fix this, or is it toast?

I deleted the recovery partition when I installed Windows 7, but I have the recovery CDs. Is this helpful at all?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Sorry to read about the problem you are experiencing. To the best of my knowledge, your PC is only good for parts (except the motherboard).

The reason it happened is because you flashed the BIOS in Windows 7 with a BIOS flash written for Windows Vista, and it is a shame that HP doesn't warn folks of this--about the importance of only running a windows based flash on the operating system it is supported in.

You upgraded to W7.  You probably then read the BIOS release notes that show a fix for potential issue in W7.

You flash the BIOS. The BIOS flash seems to have run fine. You restart the notebook. Bricked.

You are not alone. Dozens of folks have posted on this forum with this scenario. I read all the posts and I believe every one flashed the BIOS in W7, and the BIOS was only written for XP and/or Vista.

Unfortunately, recovery disks will not help in this situation.

Think of the BIOS as a spinal cord that connects the computer's brain (CPU) with its body parts (hardware). The failed BIOS flash was the equivalent of breaking the PC's neck, resulting in paralysis, and death.

Paul

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi:

Sorry to read about the problem you are experiencing. To the best of my knowledge, your PC is only good for parts (except the motherboard).

The reason it happened is because you flashed the BIOS in Windows 7 with a BIOS flash written for Windows Vista, and it is a shame that HP doesn't warn folks of this--about the importance of only running a windows based flash on the operating system it is supported in.

You upgraded to W7.  You probably then read the BIOS release notes that show a fix for potential issue in W7.

You flash the BIOS. The BIOS flash seems to have run fine. You restart the notebook. Bricked.

You are not alone. Dozens of folks have posted on this forum with this scenario. I read all the posts and I believe every one flashed the BIOS in W7, and the BIOS was only written for XP and/or Vista.

Unfortunately, recovery disks will not help in this situation.

Think of the BIOS as a spinal cord that connects the computer's brain (CPU) with its body parts (hardware). The failed BIOS flash was the equivalent of breaking the PC's neck, resulting in paralysis, and death.

Paul

HP Recommended

No BIOS recovery jumper or other useful tool?  Any idea if HP or somebody with the proper hardware could reflash the BIOS?  More importantly, any idea if they would be willing?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

There are folks that have attempted to repair the BIOS, but normally they are unsuccessful.

I recommend you PM HaggisCat who seems to have a very good working knowledge of what you can do in an effort to fix the BIOS.  Send him the link to this post.

HP will only replace the motherboard, and I would think it would be more prudent to buy a new notebook because replacing the motherboard won't be cheap.

Paul

HP Recommended

I'll PM HaggisCat.  Thanks for the info!  :generic:

HP Recommended

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_kw=compaq&_kw=presario&_kw=F700&_kw=motherboard

There are two MoBo's available, remove your RAM and look at the part number, it's usually underneath the RAM and it ends with -001. It will probably be 461861-001 or 461860-001.

A new or a used MoBo will be the only alternative and they are inexpensive. If you get someone to disassemble it for you, the labour will get you, so it would be best to do it your self. You will also need some IC Diamond thermal compound for the CPU and GPU. IC Diamond is really easy to use.

Here is the link where I rescued my HDX 18, but this did not work on my dv8 and it probably won't work on yours, but here it is anyway.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-systems-and/Bricked-Machine-After-BIOS-Update/td-p/6...

Follow the instructions on the very first post and in that section. In your case your BIOS file is : 30EAF0A.WPH. Rename that to 30EA.BIN or even 30EA.WPH.

You will have to extract the BIOS file twice to get to the correct WPH file.

The other thing is to buy a pre-programmed chip, remove the old one and solder on the new one. The new chip will be missing the serial number and MoBo ID numbers and you will have to send to an HP authorized service depot to have the MoBo tattooed. This can get expensive and you have to buy the soldering equipment, so going to e-bay and getting another MoBo is probably the best solution.

If you need help removing your RAM or disassembling your laptop, PM me again and I should be able to help you with that.

I will copy and paste this answer in your thread too.

HP Recommended

If you're in the USA find a 3rd party repair facility with a good reputation like: AQSTECH.com they will do the repair for $99.00 + shipping.

Taking a chance on Ebay junk is not worth your time.

Trying to keep your original motherboard if possible should be your #1 goal. Having it repaired via using AQS or replacing the BIOS chip is your best bet. Replacement  of the BIOS chip is not garanteed to resolve your issue...  If you're good with soldering, then it may be worth the risk as a first option.  

HP Recommended

@ MasterUMC

Does AQTECH have the HP DMI utility to tattoo the motherboard if the BIOS chip is replaced ? If markrog goes with this option he will have this (see screen shot) with a pre-programmed chip on boot up. The laptop will continue to function normally, but he will not be able to use his HP recovery disc's.

100_0684.JPG

Here is Canada with my dv8 the nearest HP service centre with the DMI Utility was 3000 miles away and I did not want to pack up my expensive laptop and send it out. Apparently any Best Buy is an authorized HP center in the USA, so it may be more convenient _ something to think about.

I agree that buying a system board from e-bay may not be the best option, if he can find a third party vender out side of e-bay, then that would be better. If you note though, that many of the new system boards on e-bay come from China _ this is acceptable since even the ones that are sold in the US are made in China, very little, if any of the computer is made anywhere but in China.

HP Recommended

Thanks, everyone, for explaining the different options.  It looks like any repair would cost me >$100 and a lot of time, even if I buy a used motherboard on eBay.  My Presario is 4+ years old, so I'm not sure it's worth that kind of investment.  And I wiped the hard drive prior to the BIOS incident, so I don't need to get any files off of it.  So, I decided to retire the Presario and buy a new (and much, much better) laptop from the Dell factory outlet for $489 (shipping included).

If the Presario were newer, I think I'd try to fix it.  Instead, I'll sell it for parts.  Maybe I can get back some of the money I paid for the new machine.  🙂

Thanks for making the options clear!  You all provided very good information.

HP Recommended

Does the same information hold true for a Pavilion dv9925nr Laptop?  My experience is the same as that listed  above your post!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.