Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

i can't see this.   Thanks anyway.   May I come back to you if the problem persists?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, you're welcome to come back any time you like :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks very very much

HP Recommended

Was the issue ever solved?

I have the 14 inch envy with the backlight keyboard and I3 processor that was on sale the day after christmas from office depot (they don't have that many different models, came with Windows 8 of course)

I just noticed the redlight illuminated by the mouspad on mine as well and it just means it's off as far as I can tell. I'm using an external wireless mouse and changed the mouse settings so that when an external mouse is detected it turns off (red light comes on). As soo as I unplug the wireless reciever on my laptop though the mousepad immediately comes back on and the red light turns off.  

HP Recommended

Thank  you- this was the case with me and it helped me get right back to work- Much appreciated!

HP Recommended

Hi there,

I have been having the SAME problem with the red light. If I tap on it twice the red light turns on, my mouse disappears and nothing seems to turn it off. And the only way to get rid of the light it to shutdown my laptop. It's quite annoying as everytime this happends, I have to shutdown my laptop. I've tried tapping on the light, but nothing happeneds. What seems to be the reason for this?

HP Recommended

Hey Rhia29,

It's a little counter-intuitive at first but the red light is meant to bring your attention to the fact that the touchpad is off because by default it is always on. 

There may be a rectangle or an indention or maybe just a light in the top left corner of the touchpad. See #1 in the image below:

When you double tap on that are of the touchpad, it will turn off if it was on. Wait a second or two. When you double tap it again, it will turn on if it was off. 

Light ON   =  Touchpad OFF

Light OFF =  Touchpad ON

Double Tap #1 to toggle ON and OFF

Like I said, I know that may seem a little backwards but because the touchpad is normally always on, most user's preference is to not have the light glaring at them constantly, especially if working on the notebook at night. It is also meant to draw your attention to something being different, for instance if the touchpad got turned off accidently. I hope I explained that in a way that makes sense. 

Another way that the touchpad can be toggled off is if an external USB mouse is plugged in. 

I hope this explanation helps. Please let me know if there are any other questions 🙂 I'll keep an eye out for your reply.

HP Recommended

Also here is a document explaining all of the ins and outs of the touchpad (aka clickpad) including turning it on and off and gestures that can be used on notebooks that support multi-touch gestures. 

Using and Configuring the Clickpad

Hope this helps! 

HP Recommended

Thank you so so much for that document. Thats fixed the problem. 

Thanks again and God bless you! 😄

HP Recommended

Great! That's good to hear! 🙂

I'm glad I could assist. Let me know if you run into any other questions.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.