Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
uhhello Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

AC Adapter/Battery Issue

HP Spectre 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Power cord tried through various AC outlets.  Brick shows good power LED.  Plugged into laptop, it doesn't recognize it being plugged in.  Battery doesn't increase or decrease when plugged in but will decrease no plugged in.  Have ran boot up hardware checks on battery and it is fine per the check.  Is there anything else I can do short of buying another power cord (again).

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES
Master's Graduate Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
410 45 84
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

AC Adapter/Battery Issue

Hallo @uhhello

Im 99% sure there is nothing wrong with the Power cord. this cable never breaks there is like 1% change of it to breake if receive any kind of damage.

There for I would recommend to try run a BIOS update on your computer 

Link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers use your P/N or full model name:

Guide on how to find P/N.

Can you post back with the full Model No. and Product No. of your notebook - you can usually get this by holding down the fn key and pressing esc, 

If that does not help.

Does it charge when the computer is off?

Best regards.

Zincas
I am an HP notebook/printer technician.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
uhhello Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

AC Adapter/Battery Issue

Yeah I'm with you on the cable.  I saw a bios update was an option but it won't allow me to install it due to it not recognizing the power cord.  Catch 22 here.  There is actually a BIOS update waiting to be installed.  And no it does not charge in ANY aspect of powered up, down, sleep, etc.  Yesterday I watched an entire day of college football on it with no change in battery status at all.

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
410 45 84
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

AC Adapter/Battery Issue

Hallo @uhhello

Is the AC adapter LED on? in the little LED next to the AC input on the computer?

If not, It's mostlike the AC adapter it's self or can you use the computer with only the AC adapter connected?

Zincas

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
0 Kudos
uhhello Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

AC Adapter/Battery Issue

Laptop side led is not on but power brick is.  

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
410 45 84
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

AC Adapter/Battery Issue

Then it must be the AC adapter directly then.

Zincas

0 Kudos
uhhello Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

AC Adapter/Battery Issue

Nope, just unplugged the battery and the adapter powers as it should.  As soon as I unplug the battery after shutdown and then plug the AC back in, the LED's work as adertised and the computer is powered off AC only.  Shutdown, plug the battery back in and LEDs go away and back to orignal problem. 

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
410 45 84
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

AC Adapter/Battery Issue

**bleep**...

unplug the battery run the BIOS update and see if that works.

Zincas

0 Kudos
uhhello Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

AC Adapter/Battery Issue

Unplugged, updated.  LEDs worked as required with battery hooked up.  Battery indicator and tests wouldn't detect battery though. Shutdown, unplugged and replugged the battery.  Started up and everything was showing good.  Had good battery charging icon, leds, and battery test showed good.  Unplugged AC and we're right back to square one.  Wont detect AC charging and at 19%.  Going to reconnect battery again.

0 Kudos
uhhello Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

AC Adapter/Battery Issue

Have just unplugged/replugged battery and now everything is good again.  So I'm guessing its related to the battery connection or the battery itself.  Frustrating.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation