Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
msgraham77 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

AC Charger won't charge old or new battery

Elitebook 850 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All

My Elitebook 850 battery recently stopped holding charge.  I took the battery out, and the AC Charger still provided power so was able to use without battery.  I then purchased a new battery.  Now, the AC charger won't show charging on the new battery, but when I take the battery out, I can use the laptop without the battery.

When the new battery is installed, it doesn't say anything like "plugged in, not charging," it just says nothing at all.  But obviously the charger works as it powers without the battery in.

Have tried uninstalling the drivers in Windows through Device Manager > Batteries > Uninstall Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Battery Method + Uninstall AC Adaptor, with no result.  Turned the computer off, took the battery out, then powered up without battery, uninstalled the drivers, powered back off, reinstalled the battery, powered back up off residual charge in the new battery, with drivers reinstalled, still no luck.

Anyone have any thoughts?  Please and thank you.

Mike 

6 REPLIES
Associate Professor Associate Professor
Associate Professor
1153 69 144
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post

Hi,

Kindly follow the steps here and check if this will work on your case. Just give it a try.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hp-envy-laptop-battery/m-p/57212...

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

0 Kudos
msgraham77 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

I tried your first suggestion of going to Device Manager and uninstalling the driver exactly as you suggest.  No luck.

So I then went to update the BIOS and this is where it gets really annoying.  It would not update the BIOS without the battery at least at 50% charge.  As I can't charge the battery, I can't achieve that.  So I then took out the battery, and powered the computer back on, went to update the BIOS again, and it said that I had to connect the AC Adaptor, which was obviously connected becuase there was no battery installed, and the computer was on.  So I could not update the BIOS.

Any other thoughts would be much appreciated, and thank you for your help.

Mike 

0 Kudos
Associate Professor
1153 69 144
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post

Hi,

Thank you for trying the suggestion listed above. Kindly run a diagnostic test. Make sure that the battery and AC adapter is connected (Yes the battery should be there. I am well aware that the battery is not charging)

Turn the computer off completely

Turn it back ON and IMMEDIATELY tap away ESC

On the start menu page press F2 for UEFI Diagnostic

Select system test, quick check then Run once.

Let us know if theres a failure id number.

If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

0 Kudos
msgraham77 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post

Hi

Thanks for your reply.  I tried exactly as you suggested.  The UEFI Diagnostic offered two choices:  Memory Test and Hard Drive Check.  I did both tests, and both passed.  No system failure ID number.

Any further thoughts?  Thanks again.

Mike

0 Kudos
Associate Professor
1153 69 144
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post

Hi,

Kindly try the steps mentioned here especially the work arounds for the bios (Skip the hard reset)

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/black-screen-bios-corruption/m-p/5638910#M9031...

0 Kudos
msgraham77 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post

Hi

I tried the BIOS workaround, and it went to a BIOS Recovery via Local Media page.  

It then come up saying a BIOS Recovery has occurred (500), Enter - Continue.  I pressed Enter, and the computer turned off.  

I left it for 5 mins just in case, but when nothing happened, I turned the computer back on and it immediately loaded Windows.  When I checked the BIOS version it was still the same previous version, and when I tried to update it again, as it said previously I needed to plug the AC Charger in (which was plugged in and was working as the battery was removed).  

Absolutely pulling my hair out :(

Thanks for your help

Mike 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation